What 'should' a female photog wear??

photobyjess

Also, you might bring a spare top if the first one gets soaked. Sweating is just unavoidable in 100 degree heat and working hard.

I would just ignore the cute remarks and critical remarks. I find your question perfectly reasonable. I've been shooting weddings for a while, and even though some of the men above have couched their comments in a tongue in cheek way, it is just a fact of life that a young woman (or one that looks young) who is attractive is going to get unwanted attention not just while shooting weddings, but everywhere, as you know. The difference is, you are at the wedding to do a job, so if you really want to do all you can to quash the hits before they start, you can ensure that you dress in an ultra professional way. As a woman, you know what I mean. There are cute outfits that would work and then there are outfits that are outright professional and say, "I am here to get down to business." The thing is--some women will not give up the cute outfits, accessories, and other trappings that communicate sex appeal. I'm not saying you should transform yourself into a sexless prison matron or something, but I'm sure you get the drift. Just ramp it back a bit, which is what you seem to be doing. The six hours you spend shooting a wedding is only a small part of one day--you can dress how you want the rest of the week.

As I mentioned above, a black, cotton top is simple enough to work at various levels. For a formal wedding, add a professional looking jacket. I wear a regular, business style jacket normally, and a dressmaker type jacket for formal weddings, but with the same cotton top. Contrary to just about everyone, I wear a skirt, but it is below the knee and not closely cut. I have no problems with it riding up while diving for a shot. At my stage in life, I do NOT have your particular problem. The reason I still dress "down" is to help with authority issues. Whenever I have a male photographer along as a trainee or some other, everyone assumes he is the primary.

It is unfortunate that women have to go to such lengths to avoid unwanted attention, or combat assumptions, but such is life.

and in MN where 90 degree days are coupled with 99% humidity... i don't always wear black. it's just NOT justifiable when doing outdoor weddings in sweltering heat. i do make a point to ask the B&G how 'involved' they want me to be, the style of their wedding, and if i should indeed match.... beach weddings/beach attire... formal weddings/formal attire... etc.

I'm not wedding photographer, but I recently attended a wedding and the female photographer wore a light pantsuit and Sketchers' casual shoes. She said the suit makes her look professional and fit in with the formal atmosphere of the wedding, the shooes are comfortable and she can wear them all day long, she said no body cares to look at the photographer's feet...they're too busy looking at her/his lens.

Um, I can't believe that nobody has suggested asking the B&G.

When I'm going through my contract and asking about all the details of a wedding, I

tell them what I typically wear when I'm shooting a wedding: black slacks and button

down shirt. Then I ask if that will be acceptable or if they prefer me to wear

something else. I tell them that I won't wear a tie because it gets in the way and is a

potential choke hazard. Anything else within reason that doesn't impair my ability to

do my job, I'll accommodate.

I do a lot of event photography and occasional weddings. I often work with female

photographers. The two things I strongly recommend against is a dress (of any kind)

and high heals. Whenever I see a female photographer in a dress or heals, it is

obvious that it impairs their ability to get shots where you need to kneel or squat or

bend over. High heals make it hard for you to be nimble on your feet. And you can't

do a marathon 8-10 hour shoot if your feet start getting blisters after the first hour.

Yes, you need to dress nice and professional, but practical aspects must outweigh

fashion. Don't dress in a manner that impairs your ability to do your job (see my no-

ties policy above). The experienced female photographers I see all wear nice slacks

and nice but practical shoes; never dresses or heals. A agree with Nadine's

suggestion of a nice light jacket if you need to look a bit more formal.