Film for concert photography

Would a speed of 800, for instance, be sufficient, or would I need 3200? When I

made a little research over the internet, I found that 800 would be sufficient,

however, when I shot at a concert at school (which had a terrible lighting, in

my opinion) even 1600 wasn't enough. The thing is I can't be sure if the

lighting will be good enough (at least better than the concert at school), and

my pentax a3 can go up to 1600; I can't shoot at 3200.

If you have an f2.8 or faster, preferably 100mm or longer the ISO 800 might work. I used ISO 800 print film to photograph an ice skating show and used a 135mm f2.8 telephoto. Spot metering is a definite plus. Most metering patterns will read the surrounding darkness and overexpose the subject if it is spotlighted. Or bracket your exposure.

I got good results using provia 400. you can push it even at 3200, evethough 1600

or 800 are preferable. As for the 3200 setting on the camera. there is no prolem. If it

cannot be set at 3200, shoot manually and not with aperture or time priority. just

manually set the camera. for example. if the light meter gives you 2.8 1/250 at 1600

(camera setting), you must set the time dial at 1/500 instead of 1/250.

Yes you should have a 2.8 lens.

Ciao,

Antonio

There are many clubs where I have shot where I was very happy that I had both a fast

prime (f/1.4 or 1.8) and fast film (either Tri-X at 1250 in Diafine or TMZ at 1600-3200).

Bigger shows have much better lighting, but it really comes down to the venue.

Fujicolor Superia or Press 1600, Kodak Portra 800, Fuji Pro 800Z, Fuji Provia 400X, Kodachrome 200, Kodak Tri-X, Kodak T-Max 400, Kodak P3200, Fuji Neopan 1600, Fuji Neopan 400, Ilford Delta 3200, Ilford Delta 400, Ilford HP5 Plus are all good for this sort of thing. You may wish to push-process.

If it's your child's school you might get a chance to take some incident readings on

stage with the light settings to be used later. This is the best way to avoid the

overexposure Mike mentioned. It requires a hand-held meter.

Walt Flanagan, I was asking to see if anyone was familiar with concert photography had an idea about how the stage would be lit generally.

I have two lenses, 50 mm f/1.7, and 70-200 f/4. It's a big concert (about 5000 audiences), so I don't know how close I can get to the stage. I may need to use 70-200.

Antonio S., thanks for the advice but the problem is that my camera doesn't have a fully manual mode. It has bulb mode, and an aperture priority mode, that's it.

A. Valerio: Ear plugs ?!? I love music, and especially that particular band. And about the films, half of those films are probably aren't sold where I live. I only have hi-speed b&w films like ilford delta 3200, delta 400 and hp5. Thanks for your help.

Thank you everyone for your advice.