Why do I have no comments and less ratings on my photos?

Too many photographers want comments and ratings, not enough are willing to give comments and ratings.

Your own ratings and comments given to other photographers should at least match the number of ratings and comments you have received. If not, pitch in and help out.

This is one of the most asked questions here. 1st, it's not personal ... it is an issue that many have. If I were to give advise, this is it:

(1) Time - don't post on low web activity times (e.g. Friday night) and expect much interaction.

(2) Participation - comments are few, but I get most comments from people whom I've commented on in the past.

(3) Guide the Comments - people usually comment on things they love or hate ... you probably are producing neither. Ask a specific question that the merciful will respond to. Most pictures just want people to lavish praise on them, ask specifically about your issue or technique.

(4) Reality - unless you are great or have 1 or more "hot naked women" in your photos, visits and comments will be limited. Think about your own activity ... you probably don't critique many images you find "OK".

"I give more ratings and comments than I get"

The truth of this does not seem to be born out by your homepage which states that

you have rated 150 photos and received 374 ratings and you have critiqued 6 photos

and requested 74. The last critique you gave was back in February. My advice, if

you want more comments, is to get active, comment on a few photos a day

regularly, especially of people you admire or feel you might learn from. Give more

than a "nice shot" kind of comment. Make your own critiques stand out in some way

and you will get attention.

In the meantime, I commented on a couple of your photos to get you started. You

must increase your level of activity if you're going to get anywhere on this site, and

I'm curious to know what made you think you've given more than you've gotten. The

opposite seems quite true. Good luck!

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

The real problem is that for every person that is genuinely interested in learning the opinions of other people, there are 5 that just want to be patted on the back. The bad things that some of these people do have frustrated, jaded, or completely scared people away from giving critiques.

Wolfgang, it is also important to acknowledge the critiques you have received. In real

life, if you ask someone to do something for you, and then the person does the thing

you've asked, you would then acknowledge the person for it. Same thing for critique

requests. You acknowledge them! It shows that you got the critique and even if you did

not agree with the critique, you could always say so.

About four months ago, I made a critique on one of your photos that you posted in the

critique forum, but you never replied. I never knew if you saw the critique, etc., etc. So,

that made me less likely to give you another critique in the future.

Also, what other have said above is true. Post at least as many critiques/ratings as you

have requested. Then you can say that there is nothing unbalanced about your

exchange with the other members here.