how to get shots like these?

lindy_c.

I would love it if someone could check out some of the images from the link

below. She is my favorite photographer and my motivator. What do I need to be

doing to get my lighting the way she does? I think she uses 100% natural light,

however, there are never any shadows or anything. Can never tell the direction of

the light. I like the look of the fully lit portrait and the sharp detail. Also, any

thoughts on what type of lens??

http://www.audreywoulardblog.com/

Thanks!

For the inside shots the room has a huge ammount of open windows and highly reflective flooring. It's a dream location for photographers.

For the outside shots, shaded areas were used in most cases with a large reflector below the subject.

You can look at the eyes of the subjects for clues.

I think Brett has the lighting down. If you look closely you can actually see that the left side of the nose in the picture is slightly darker, more in shadow, and that the lighting pattern is very close to a classic short loop in this picture (http://www.audreywoulardblog.com/images/content/hurly3.jpg). With the addition of lots of fill light to avoid any deep shadows. Corresponding to this you can see the reflection of the window to camera right.

Concerning the lens. The first thing I notice is that it produces very shallow depth of field. With in-door photography that will mean a very fast lens (out-door it may be a long tele). On a 35mm or small-sensor digital it would probably be a 50mm f/1.2 or 85mm f/1.2. These are ofcourse very expensive lenses, and you may get similar results with a 85mm f/1.8. It is also nicely sharp and has good contrast, but at least the latter can be fixed in post-processing when you are shooting digital. So can the highly saturated colours.

/M

hi:<br>

i actually have a question about the color. it looks to me that there are a lot of post works done with the photos. how do you get the colors so saturated with the eyes and the cloths? and, as the same time, the colors of the skin tone and background are so unsaturated.<br>

Laura,<P>

I have written to her and she is very nice to respond. I would say ask her. I know that she has a natural light studio with lots of large windows. She was my inspriation to go natural light also. Of course, there is a place for flash and I am not against flash but I love the look of the natural light.Most of my work on my site I did with all natural window light in my clients homes and I have had people ask me how I had my soft box placed? But really contact her on her blog and ask her, I think she will respond.<P>

Elaine

She uses all natural light. She's a regular on another photo forum, and has talked about her lighting. She says it's 100% natural, and I think she even said she doesn't use reflectors.

She teaches workshops - look at the link in her blog.

I could be wrong but the blue in those blue jeans looks like the "Vibrancy" and/or

"Clarity" slider may have been used in ACR. They're super-saturated but somehow not

annoyingly so and the skin tones seem unaffected. I certainly can't add anything to the

lighting suggestions already made.

Audrey doesn't use all natural light -- she uses mostly natural light but has been known

to use strobes as well. A very significant amount of her look is done in post-

processing, including the sharpening of eyes and actions for color saturation.

- CJ

the entire room is flanked by windows. you can see the glass in one of the photos. the walls are all white. it's like she's shooting inside of a white tent, or the way avedon did his western series, only with more white reflecting all over the place.

i would bet the lenses are (depending on the body), either the 85mm 1.2 canon, or the 85mm 1.4 nikkor. that and maybe really fast 50mm lenses too.

the colors are boosted unnaturally with saturation. too much for my taste, but that's me.

that would be a perfect room to do head shots for actors.

Its not all natural light. You can see the softboxes in the subjects eyes in most pictures. Sometimes 2 softboxes. We know it at least went through CS2 from photo data. So she isnt limited on Post Processing. I like the work though. Its a little different.

Just call her and tell her what you told us, I bet she would be flattered and delighted to talk with you about it. Provided you are not in her area and threatening competition.

Well, I could be wrong. I looked in her "About" folder and she claims she uses all natural light 100% of the time. I dont think she would lie about it. maybe what i saw in the eyes were windows. It sure did look like the catch light from softboxes. The CS2 part is right though. Still, if you are not in Chicago, hit her up. I bet you're suprised.

I use a program called Portrait Pro which enables me to play with my subjects eyes to achieve very much the same effect as these photos. It seems like the vibrant eyes are a hallmark of her style.

I have never used Portrait Pro to work with children but, it works great for men and especially women. It doesn't accomplish anything that could not be done independently with Photoshop. It is just that Portrait Pro is faster and easier for me. To play with Portrait Professional access this website:

http://www.portraitprofessional.com/?gclid=CNejgujU8JMCFR8cagoddRJgWw

• 3 weeks later...