P 5100

dezi_cardenas

It is a wonderful camera for a young lady who wants to carry around a nice compact camera in her purse and get really nice snapshots from it.

If she has a background in photography and doesn't mind a larger, heavier camera, the D40 would be a better choice.

I didn't mean to imply that the camera was not suitable for men... just that it would be a really nice gift for your daughter. The P5100 is a really nice P&S camera for anyone that wants a really nice P&S camera.

The P5100 is an underrated camera, capable of great photos. It has a lot of features for the price.

There are a few other nice cameras, including the Canon G9 , but the P5100 has a few things over them: Price- the P5100 can be got for $2xx-something, US. Size- the P5100 is truly pocketable, unlike some of its larger, pricier brethren.

My dislikes are the abominable lag- really an embarrasing feature in a camera like this. Some people bemoan the lack of raw- in my opinion that is an overrated attraction for a camera such as this, and mostly makes up for a lack of what they call dynamic range.

• 3 weeks later...

An update!

WOW!

I bought 2 P5100 ! I gave one to my daughter and got one for myself! A very good P&S digital camera! Very compact!!! Fits in her purse/backpack! All the buttons are very easy to get to! The LCD screen is big enough to see. It takes decent pictures and the videos are top notch! I agree its a very underrated Nikon digital camera. I paid $229.00 + I got her a 4GB SanDisk SDHC card. Awesome little camera!

Thanks for all the advice.

DC

It is terrific isn't it? I had the P5000 and now the P5100. Great work from Nikon.

If you take the care when you shoot it that you do when you use a full sized camera, you will be really impressed. There is a tendency to well, P&S which gets you a snapshot. Shoot it right and it works well.

Conni