FD system acronyms?

david_e._starr1

I'm new to the FD system, and... there's so many acronyms for so many different

things, I don't know what's what, and I don't know what's better than what... so, I'm

just gonna ask you guys.

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?

groupsku=CA060000055000&brandcategoryname=35MM&Mode=searchproducts&i

tem=10&ActivateTOC2=false&ID=&BC=CA&BCC=1&CC=6&CCC=2&BCL=&GBC=

&GCC=&KW=

Why is this, the 28mm f2.8 SC BL worth $40, but...

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?

groupsku=CA06010400375N&brandcategoryname=35MM&Mode=searchproducts&

item=10&ActivateTOC2=false&ID=&BC=CA&BCC=1&CC=6&CCC=2&BCL=&GBC

=&GCC=&KW=

Why is this 28mm f2.8 with no acronyms worth $90?

Same condition, but twice the price?

Your links aren't working for me, but assuming I'm guessing right, here's your answer. The first lens is older and has a breech-lock (hence the BL) mount rather than a bayonet like the newer second lens; some people find the breech lock a detreiment because it takes a little longer to attach to the camera. Also, the second lens should have better coating, lending itself to better contrast in the photo and less flare. Whether or not that makes the price difference for you is something only you can really determine. JR

SC=Spectra Coating, BL=breach lock. The SC coating was replaced by the SSC

coating (Super Spectra Coating). With breach lock lenses, you have to tighten a ring

on the back of the lens to attach it which can be a bit difficult. The second lens is

probably the new FD mount, which imitates a bayonet mount, and is much easier to

handle when changing. All new FD mount lenses, except the 50mm f/1.8 have the

newer coating as well. That's where the price difference is. I got my new FD 28mm

f/2.8 at a camera shop for $60, so you might should shop around more.

I have two 28/2.8 Canon FD lenses and one of the older 28/2.8 FD SC. The SSC coating did not replace the SC coating. Canon claimed that the SC coating was used when it was adequate. Some of the breech lock lenses like the 135/2.5, the 50/1.8 and the 28/2.8 were made in SC versions but not in SC versions. By the time the New FD lenses were introduced Canon no longer used the SC or SSC designations. I use a 28/2 FD SSC more often now but I find that the older 28/2.8 SC is at least as good as the later 28/2.8 FD and maybe even better.

Canon applied the SSC designation to at least one FL lens. This was the 300/2.8. There was also a 24/2.8 FD SSC with the early chrome front FD cosmetics. I have one of these. What about the 135/2.5 and 50/1.8 SC lenses? Both are very good.