What straps do you use with two cameras?

john_meyer13

I can't make up my mind as to what straps to buy when I get my second camera

body. Your input would be much appreciated.

I know straps are a very personal think. You either love them or hate them.

Having played around with the normal strap that came with my D200, I don't think

I like the idea of having a strap round my neck. I think I'd be happeir with one

on each shoulder. The question is, which one?

I have bought the R-Strap to use when out socially and it works well. But I

don't think I'd be happy using it for weddings. The shoulder pad's a bit bulkier

than I was expecting, and to use two would look a bit odd over a smart wedding

suit. A bit like a gunslinger! No, it's got to be shoulder straps.

Those that I've loooked at on the web are the Optech range and the Upstrap. The

Upstrap seems simple and, so people say, keeps the strap on the shoulder very

well, but I don't think it's available to look at in the UK. The Optech, on the

other hand, seems attractive because it's possible to remove the strap quickly

if the loop version is used. I'm a bit unsure, though, about the plastic

snap-clips being a bit bulky and getting in the way. Also, I'm unsure as to

which version is best to use on the shoulder and whether they stay out.

So, cutting to the chase, what do you use?

Regards

John

John,

I'm in the UK and I use Upstraps. Love them. I have the quick release version, not that I use that very often. I used to have the Optech (still do somewhere I think) but would never go back. The Upstrap is better made and doesn't slip

David

john - I use the lowepro speedster straps. they aren't padded, but they are super sticky, very strong, quick release and they are basic black. they don't tell the world that your camera is expensive, unlike most manufacturer's straps...

If you indeed settle on one on each shoulder, the Upstrap is probably your best bet. I personally use a cobbled version of the OpTech bino strap. See below.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0093Mb

This is in combination with a regular OpTech loop end Pro Strap that goes around my neck. The bino strap if for a second camera that I don't use all the time. I bought extra sets of loop ends and have them all over--on the bino strap, on my regular strap so I can have the neck strap for one camera lug only, However, I use fairly light bodies without vertical grips. I would not trust the loop ends on a heavy body.

Domke 1" gripper straps, preferably in black. I use the quick release ones, but some people don't like the extra chunk of metal that can flop around in a camera bag and scratch up the LCD.

And my '2 camera' style has always been primary around my neck, secondary (and shooting bag) on left shoulder. I started doing it this way as a PJ in 1980, and it's just ingrained now. Added advantage is that if you have to hustle someplace, one hand can grasp all three straps at left breast and keep them stable.

On very rare occasions, I've had a camera slung on my right shoulder and it feels weird to me. No logical reason, it just breaks my habits.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment.

Do you feell there's any advantage in having straps with quick release clips? I would have thought that they would have made the strap feel more intrusive than it need be.

If quick release is deemed to be a useful thing to have, what about using small - probably metal - snap clips on the end of strap's webbing to clip on to the camera's (D200) strap eyelets? Would these possibly be less bulky?

Regards

John

<i>

Do you feell there's any advantage in having straps with quick release clips? </i>

<p>

I like them for the swivels they bring (on the Domke, anyway). I used to (not so much anymore) take two turns around my right wrist with the strap. I guess the new, more ergonomic cameras have got me out of that habit.

<p>

I did use the QR this past weekend. I rented a monster lens for soccer that had its own strap. The strap on the camera was just getting in the way, so I disconnected it and connected the stubs back together to get it out of the way. Out in the field, I was wishing I had taken the time to take the rental strap off the lens and substitute one of my Domke straps (maybe the wider 1.5" one I keep around). The rental strap was a little short and 'boardlike' for my tastes.

<p>

The QR clips on Domke aren't particularly bulky, BTW.

The usefulness of QRs is dependent upon how you use the strap. If you don't ever change it around, they would have no useful purpose. I change mine around sometimes, so I like QRs. They aren't bulky to me. Your snap clips would work except for two things. First, they would scratch up the camera parts by the lugs. Second, some snap clips can come off unexpectedly. The Black Rapid strap has that problem now, with several rather expensive cameras sent crashing to the floor. They have sent out a solution, but be sure the clips you use aren't the kind that CAN come apart.

I know many people think I'm crazy, but I very rarely use camera straps at all. I hate

them.

Even when I'm carrying two cameras at a wedding, I don't use straps. I set

whichever camera I'm not using nearby, on a table or pew or window sill or whatever.

I always know where my second camera is, and I never get very far from it. If I'm

going into another room or whatever, I pick it up and take both with me.

The only time I ever use a strap is if I'm climbing up on a ladder or platform or

balcony or something to take a shot. Someplace where the camera could drop, or

where I need both hands to climb. Other than that, my straps stay in the camera

bag.