Framing

I have been having a conflict in my mind since long. Want to know opinion form

the PN members. What is your view on framing of pictures? Does it add to the

aesthetics? Does it distract? Is it unfair to enhance a photo by framing? Lets get

some frank opinions!

For myself, I see the purpose as simply to remove the image from its background (the wall, or whatever) and enable it stand alone.

My ideal is swiss clips; failing that, a plain wood frame; either way, deep enough to lift the image plane abut 50-60 mm clear of the wall.

I don't, from choice, matte the print.

Sadly, however, most of the world in general disagrees with me ... including that part f it which buys my pictures and puts food on the table. So, I have to go the bare minimum distance to meeting their expectations. Ho hum...

I prefer a simple black frame with a white mat. But then again i prefer everything to be

simple so take what I say with a grain of salt. I have tried showing my work unframed

and without a mat just in a plastic sleeve laying provocatively on a table on a table only

to find at one point someone had left their star-bucks coffee cup on the print, thank God

is was in plastic

If you're asking about presentation of JPEGs on photo.net, a thin black line border helps contain some photos that have white or very light gray margins.

Simple borders can work well with JPEGs when suited to the photo. Some folks here go overboard with off-centered borders and frames, two or more colors, drop shadows and even heavy graphical elements, multiple fonts, etc. Looks more like pop art posters for a bathroom or teenager's bedroom than photography, but some viewers like that.

I tend to agree with Lex's assessment on this. In my mind, the simpler the better - it's about the image, not the frame. With my own work I tend to mat prints in a white, or off white mat for black and white photographs and black for color prints unless a specific color or double mat would help achieve the feeling I was working toward. I post online images on a white background with a thin black line border, or on a black background with a white border simulating what a mat would look like. I really don't care for embellished signatures or images that break out over the mat - they just look too gimmicky to my eye, but everyone has their own standards...

- Randy

I, too, see a frame as a way to float and isolate the image. My preferred frame is a simple, rectangular stock, satin finish, black wooden frame, with a charcoal, black core single mat, revealing 1/4" of white border on the print. The title and my signature go indescriptly in this lower margin. The darker tone of the frame and mat helps to make the print appear more luminescent. The thin rim of white provides a clean break point and makes the print "pop." I find this framing scheme works equally well for color or B&W.

I like to protect the print with acrylic glazing, which is much more effective than glass at blocking UV, and which is remarkably invisible. Unfortunately it's also somewhat prone to scratching.

• 2 weeks later...