going digital

catherinevankempen

Hello,

I have finally decided to make the change to digital. I am having a hard time

deciding which camera to get. I have been shooting with my beloved F4 and F5.

I seem to have it narrowed it down to the d80 or d200 since I can't afford a

d300 or higher. I mostly do fine art photography with some wedding work to pay

the bills. Could you please give me some ideas?

Thanks,

Catherine

Also, I was wondering if anyone has some good tips on how to buy used digital cameras. I know of this great used camera place but you really need to know what to look for or you end up paying too much, since I have VERY limited knowledge of digital cameras I dont feel comfortable buying used. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Catherine

Definitely a D200. It's probably better to buy locally where you can get a look at the condition of the cameras. KEH is a very reputable dealer in used equipment. The equipment they sell is always in better condition than you expect. They don't sell junk.

Check for bad pixels too. They'll show up best against a dark background. Take sample photo (maximum resolution) files home and magnify 'em. They'll usually show up as tiny greenish squares, normally only one pixel in size. My D2H has one, along one side, nothing to worry about. One smack dad in the center might be a concern. Several bad pixels might be a problem. The photos can be retouched, but why make extra work for yourself?

Fujifilm S5 Pro (D200 body based) are good deal now a day. I would check one out ($1000 new). Perfect for Wedding. It has the most forgiving sensor when when it come to lighting and can bring out of the most details with white dress.

Hmm. I'd recommend buying from a good dealer, like keh.com. That way, you can try out your purchases, and return it if you don't like it. KEH rocks. This is much better than your average e*Bay or cra**slist transaction, where you are stuck with what you buy, whether you like it or not. For new, try costco.

Adorama has good deal on new D200, remember, if something goes wrong two months after you bought it, the warranty will cover it on new equipment, not on used. So make sure the price on used is worth it. as others have said, KEH.com for used, it's the best. If you're considering a camera at KEH, call them and ask the support person to tell you why camera XYZ is marked in the condition that it's in. If it's a scratch or so on the body, no problem, if it's on the LCD, not as tempting.. The people at KEH are very nice and will definitely help you make the right purchase.

If you're used to solid film bodies, like the F4 and F5, the D80 may feel a bit of a light weight and the finder may not impress you. You're used to some very nice bodies. I've been told the same thing, since I have an F4s. In all cases, they suggest the D200. It will just feel better to you. I've never gotten my hands on one. <sigh>.

I have the D200. Nice camera, but it is no Nikon F5 .. I found the autofocus on the F5 to be better with all my lenses than the D200 which seems a tad bit slower. Other than that, the D200 does everything I need and a few things I have no use for.

Once you've owned and used a substantial pro-grade camera like the F5, all the others, even the DX series seem to be not as robust and balanced. Certainly minor, but for film the F5 is perfection. Yet, I do like the feel of the D200 and it produces beautiful images. Used prices seem to be about $950. I'd recommend the 18-70dx kit lens for a starter .. really quite sharp at F8; and of course Thom Hogan's D200 eBook to help you get up and running .. it will take the mystery out of setting your menus and the flash basics. ..

I have no desire for a D300 or D80 and have considered another F5 or F6 film camera. I would seriously consider keepng your F5 and/or F4 to have in your kit. You may want to do some fine art black and white for which digital does not do as well as film.

If you can not afford the D300 then go with the D200. I purchased a used D200 from B and H photo over a year ago. I have had great dealings with KEH, B and H photo and Adorama. The D80 will not meter with older AIS lenses and I buy older used AIS lenses. I would not buy a used digital body on ebay, its just to hard to know about the seller and my luck is not always good.

I will have to trade in my film cameras, even though Im not sure I'm ready to let my baby go ... I wish I could, part of the reason I've waited so long to go digital is because I cant afford to buy a new body without trading them in. Since I've graduated I no longer have access to a darkroom and having my prints made just doesn't feel right.

Thank you all for your advice, I do have one more question concerning the lenses, I have been always used fixed focal length lenses (again ... the story of a poor student trying to make things work) and I was wondering if these lenses work as well with the digital bodies as they do with the film bodies.

I have a

24 mm 2.8 D

50mm 1.4 D

85 mm 1.8 D

80 - 200 mm 2.8

All Nikon AF lenses. I was hoping not to have to invest in lenses right off the bat, Ive been doing the lens switch thing for so long it's not really problem for me anymore.

Also, is the difference between the D200 and the D300 significant enough for me to save a little bit longer. I'm am leaning towards just going ahead and buying the D200 and then in a year or two buying a second back up body which by then the D300 will have come down in price and all ...

I dont know why this is so difficult for me, I think part of it is giving up my beloved film cameras. Ah, the agony. I still have my dad's old nikkormat EL which I love, it takes the most beautiful pictures and it makes me feel like a "real" photographer, so I'm not giving up film entirely.

If I where getting into digital today I would get the D300. I can not justify replacing my D200 and it still works great so that is it for me.

I use http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html as a refference for lense purchase. I think you have some great glass and would use all of them. I have the three primes you listed. Just take note of the crop factor with DX. Your field of view is less, if you want wider than you should look at one of the zooms available. I am waiting for B and H photo to send me the new Tokina 11-16 f2.8 that I purchased last month. I also have a Nikkor AF-D 20mm f2.8 and 28mm f2 AIS.

I am not sure exactly what you mean by "fine art" photography, but if we are talking about still subjects that you lit with artificial light, the D300 won't have much advantage over the D200. For weddings, the D300 has better high ISO results.

Your old film cameras won't worth much in the used market, which is flooded with them. I would say keep your dad's EL as it is probalby next to worthless to anybody else now, except you for sentimental reasons. You may get a few hundred dollars for the F5.

If getting the D200 gives you a head start on digital, I would say go for that. If you shoot weddings professionally, you'll soon need at least two camera bodies (and preferably more) so that you have backups.