Photo of the Week 06/01/2008

miserere_mei

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Todd,

I am glad you like the Picasa results. As Fredrik has mentioned, the neat image is a separate program and I use it to reduce noise in you iso 3200 shot. Once I ran the neat image on your photo. I usually don't use Neat Image but I use it for the need of ISO 3200 and I want to try a smoother tone on the kid's face. I roughly do the following:

1. Run through neat image on the original

2. Effect for Filtered B&W in Picasa

sometime I simply try out the B&W conversion. But I use the filtered B&W and pick on green and yellow in the color channel picker for a better skin tone. I use the green channel usually for coping with noise and better skin tone in b&w.

3. Adjust shadow and lighting

This is important in Picasa as I always go to the tunning section to adjust shadow, lighting, highlight to bring out the contrast in a b&w conversion

3. Weird step to add noise

As Fredrik has mentioned, Picasa is notorious in the Effect -> Sharpening feature but I sometime use it to my advantage in b&w conversion. I only use it occasionally when I want to add character to b&w picture. By sharpening with one click, the effect usually add noise to a picture, which is pleasant for b&w picture adding a film like grain. Two clicks will over-sharpen the picture with unpleasant artifacts For your picture, I don't do sharpening as your picture already has a good texture of noise on the background. Having noise in a b&w picture can be a pleasant surprise especially in b&w.