Anyone Else disappointed the D3 focuses slower than the F5 on D-lenses?

russ_konrad

The image quality of the D3 is simply amazing - but I am a little surprised that

my F5 will focus my 50mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8 much faster than the D3.

I do realize that Nikon is emphasizing the AF-S lenses with their excellent

built-in motors but for $5000 I was expecting the same excellent performance

(very FAST) on my D-lenses that I received with the F5.

Yes - the focus accuracy is very good with both camera bodies.

It is easy to see the difference in bright light - the F5 is obviously faster with my 50mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8 lens than with the D3.

I am not complaining in anyway about the image quality that I get out of the D3 - it is really amazing - at almost any light levels. But the focusing speed with the Nikon primes is very obviously slower with the D3 compared to the F5.

I have experienced the same with the F6 vs D300. I have found situations where the F6 cannot even catch focus (endless hunting) where the D300 is dead on at the first attemp; on the other side, the F6 (don`t remember if F6+grip) is noticeable faster (AF and AF-S too) than the plain D300. Notice that the F6 use the same focus module that the D2 series (don`t know about the motor).

Anyway, if there is a difference in focus speed, it's probably to reduce power consumption. The F5 is famous for eating up batteries. In low light I can't notice any difference in focus speed between the two cameras with the 85/1.4 attached. I don't doubt what you're saying but I am unable to notice it in the conditions I'm using the camera in.

The F5 is the Abrams Tank of the camera world - great performance, poor mileage. There are three separate motors, one of which is dedicated to AF focusing, the others for shutter and film winding. It is nearly twice as fast focusing a standard AF lens as my F100.

Actually, my Nikon DSLRs are no slouches either, even if not quite as fast. I seldom use anything other than AF-S lenses, but find AF performance is more than adequate. To me the issue is IMAGE QUALITY, followed by build-quality (or maybe the other way around).