Hasselblad Ixpress V96C or phase one p20

de_v

You're probably not getting many answers because few people use multiple backs.<g> From what I've seen, they're both good, but it comes down to features and price, unless you can compare them side by side for image quality. I don't know anyone who has done that.

I've got the P20 on my Rollei and really like it at low ISO settings. Part of what makes this great for me is the CaptureOne DB

software which is really wonderful to shoot tethered with and seems bulletproof. I use the hasselblad flexcolor software with my

Leica DMR files and while the image quality is very high in the conversions, Its not a easy to use as the capture one software.

I didn't know you could fit the Ixpress V96 to the Rollei - does it use the same adapters that the CF backs do? Since these backs

use the same chip, the file quality is probably similar.

The rollei db20p (phase p20 in rollei mount) works without cables on the 6008 AF body but you might need a cable on the

integral or perhaps Rollei service can modify yours to work? Actually I had to have a small change done to my 6008 AF to make it

provide a wake up to the back - cost was minimal.

You may have better luck finding the CF backs than the P20 backs in rollei mount. I don't know how many digital bundles were

sold, probably not a huge amount and the backs are even harder to find by themselves.

Also I am sure you are aware there are a number of sinar backs that can be fit to the Rollei which might be another option worth

considering.

Regards,

Eric

I own a P20+ that i did some spec only comparisons to Hasselblad's offerings before buying. I went with Phase One

for the software... Now is a good time to go with PhaseOne- The software is robust as is and a new Pro version of

the slick looking Capture One 4.0 software is due to be released October 15th. The C1PRO 4.0 software will

alleviate a lot of the workflow annoyances with the non-pro C1 4.0 at the moment. The current CaptureOne Pro DB

software works great and is a solid platform but the new release of CaptureOne Pro 4.0 will be a major major step

forward that has been in the works for years. Nothing Hasselblad offers software wise is going to compare with

Phase One. As for reliability Phase One is solid. I have a P20+ that i shoot timelapse with on a Horseman

Digiflex II body. I have the camera shooting hundreds if not thousands of frames consecutively and everything

works. At the time i bought my P20+ the only major difference (outside of software) between Hasselblad's

offerings and Phase One's was that the newer Hasselblad backs could directly control an electronic shutter.

This is a feature you may or may not be interested in. Phase One just released a firmware upgrade for the +

series that enables a similar feature. However this firmware upgrade is not available on the P20.

thanks for the clarification, I found out the hassleblad back requires to tether or the storage bank to shoot - not quite what I want when shooting on location.

and now i've come up with another dilemma. Should I just stick to a DSLR for digital by getting the 5dmk2 when its released? P20 is a moderate digiback - i cant afford the p25 and further I'm unsure if theres a mount for my rollei integral for the p25, however what keeps me with the p20 option is the quality i get from my medium format rollei lense, absolute reason for this choice.

But cost wise, I think it is more sensible by getting the 5dmk2 - and it has more megapixels - not sure if this is a plus when compared with the p20 sensor - even though the latter is 16mpx.

Lense wise no way it can compete with the planar, let alone the apo symmar 90mm!

Viewfinder also, its just feels better shooting with the rollei prism and chimney viewfinder - bigger and clearer. I shoot people. Pls help with your inputs!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I do remember the hasselblad having a rather klugey system to be connected to their proprietary hard drive. I tried to get my dealer to show me a used hasselblad system with the imagebank and it wouldnt work- We spent about 30minutes trying to get the thing to work and nothing happened. Needless to say i wasnt that impressed.

The 5dMKII is a truly impressive camera. Its ability to shoot 1920x1080 video with Canon glass is something to be marveled at. Here is a video shot with the MKII: http://www.vincentlaforet.com/ I am sure its still image quality will be stunning as well. http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2128

Canon DSLR bodies will always be the cost sensible option and will have all the newest bells and whistles.

Think about how you like to take photos. Do you need fast auto-focus? Will you be shooting with wide-angle lenses? The P20 image quality should surpass the Canon in most regards... But Canon is closing the gap. The P20 is a great Digital Back but you will have significant cropping on your Rollei lenses due to the sensor size (basically the P20 width is exactly the same physical width as 35mm film and almost double the height as opposed to the 60mm x 60mm film in a Rollei). You wont getting anything even close to wide angle with the P20. With Phase One you will get the use of all your nice lenses and fast tethered capture. Canon tethered interfaces have been notoriously slow over the years. Dont know if you own any Canon glass but investing in it will quickly bring you near the price of new Phase One back. Hope this is helpful.