PSD files are uncompressed. TIFF files can be either compressed or uncompressed. Both can be saved with layers (each layer is a new picture).

The only reason to save as a PSD is if you want to save all your layers and the history of your actions.

So, when you are done with your picture, flatten it, and then save it as a tiff with LZW compression.

I suggest never saving a PSD file with the layers flattened but always saving the file with the layers in place. Save with the layers, then flatten, sharpen and print but don't save that if it will overwrite the original.

Flattening the layers assumes you are "finished" with the file. My tastes change, I find a different paper I like, or something that will cause me to go back and change something in a file that is several years old. That's easy to do with the unflattened layers but a bit destructive to do once flattened.

It is a much better use of your available HD space to edit better and save fewer files but leave yourself options with the best ones. I use high rez scans of Medium Format film so with several layers, I sometimes end up with a 800 mb file. I just compensate by only saving really good images.