Nikon Lens

woody_martin1

50mm 1.8 or 1.4 is great for portraits. Landscapes could be anything from 10mm to

200mm. That lens is not the greatest "standard zoom" for that camera I suspect. You

should consider looking at the 16-85 VR. All indications are that it is super-sharp and

very versatile.

If you go with primes, you will be going with a number of them I suspect.

The 24-120 original version was not known to be sharp. What tripod are you using? If the answer is none, that's your problem right there. As for recommending a so-called "prime" lens, I generally don't. Unless you are talking about shooting macro (105mm VR) or wildlife (300mm f4 + 1.4x) or landscapes (24mm tilt/shift.) You gave NO clue about what you photo or how, so any really specific advice would be totally meaningless.

Kent in K.C.

For a general walk around lens for my D300, I have the 18-200 VR. This has been a great lens for general use but has some limitations which I've learned to live with. You will hear a lot of mixed comments on this forum about the 18-200. I suggest you take a look at Matt Laur's portfolio and examples with the 18-200. For a "standard" prime I have the Sigma 30mm f1.4. This has been an excellent lens, quite sharp and versatile and very fast. Good luck with your D300...you'll love it!

love my 50mm f1.8 AF-D. It was relatively cheap used at $80, and is sharp and lightweight! Another contender would be my Nikon 28mm f2.8 AIS manual focus prime. It has the equivilant focal length of 42mm in 35mm film terms, and is an excellent walkaround lens.

I only have one zoom lens (18-35mm), and use mostly primes: 50mm f/1.8 (I debate which is better, this one or my old 105mm f/2.5 AIS), 60mm Micro Nikkor, 85mm f/1.8, 180mm f/2.8, and 300mm f/4. These are the lenses I use most and are always in my bag with me. I also take my 45 GN, 24mm f/2, and 105 with me.

I'd recommend the 50/1.8. NOT because it's going to solve every problem you might have, but because it's so inexpensive, and so sharp and easy to use, that it's probably the best way to find out if a prime lens is really the way to go for you. Even if you realize that one or two better quality zoom lenses are going really be what you use out in the world, you'll always be glad you have a fast prime. I like Sigma's 30/1.4 as well... but that might very well feel too short for flattering portraits, and at more than three times the price, that's an expensive experiment.

<br><br>

Since you already have a zoom that covers some decent range, try setting it 30, to 50, and to 85mm and ONLY shooting with it at one of those focal lengths for a while, just to see which seems to suit you, compositionally. Or, you may discover that you're just feeling too boxed in that way, in which case we need to know what your zoom budget might be, and how hard you are on your gear. One of the better quality third-party f/2.8 zooms may actually be your best bet. Can't be more specific without know where your heart lies, focal-length-wise.

like matt said, the 30/1.4 is a bit wide for portraits, but it's great for almost everything else. i really like it on a d300; for low-light stuff indoors it's hard to beat.

if i wanted the best all-around prime for a nikon and i had $1000 to spend, i'd get the 85/1.4.

the 50/1.8 will give you the most bang for the buck.<div>00PfVe-46409584.jpg.19473e61aad5a87973e797f33b17718f.jpg</div>

I find myself shooting more and more on the D300 with my 20mm f2.8 AFD Nikkor. I was never that impressed with it on film but it does a great job as a 30mm digital lens and it is very sharp. If I could only keep one prime lens (that I already own) that would be the one.

The 50 1.8 is good for portraits and low light; since it's very sharp at f/8, you can use it for certain landscape shots too.

I don't know what's your shooting style when it comes to landscape shots, so it's hard to pick a "best lens".

My 50 1.4D is always with me and first choice for portraits. Still looking for something

wider that will be my default lens.

The 1.4 is worth the extra. It is not a lot more expensive, it's the 1.8 that's a lot

cheaper. You'll have this lens the rest of your life.