Olypus XA2 shutter problem

Hi,

Excuse me to exceed the chronological limit, but I would really appreciate a help.

I bought an Olympus XA2 a few months ago and I have a problem with it. The

photos are well exposed and crisp, it is an excellent P&S, but sometimes the

shutter simply does not fire.

I thought it could be a bad contact on the shutter button, but I only have that

problem if the camera is loaded. With no film I arm the shutter and fire and it

works fine all the times.

Do you have any idea of what could be? Can you help me with this?

Best regards,

Nuno Campos.

If you carry your XA in your pocket you will get dust into the inside of the camera. This was the FIRST pocket camera, so it lacks the dust and weather seals that most modern P&S cameras are known for. The dust does two nasty things... it obscures the rangefinder making focusing difficult and it wedges itself under the shutter release button causing it to jam. The XA2 lacks a rangefinder so you won't notice this aspect. At first, this causes the shutter to not fire sometimes and fire perfectly at other times, but eventually it will cause the shutter button to become stiff and the camera will not fire at all. It requires surgery and there are lots of surpise parts in the XA that makes working on it difficult.

Besides the shutter release, there are many position switches in the XA2 that detect if, for instance, the cover is fully open. If that switch is not activated by the cover the shutter will not fire.

These switches may get bent or dirty and then contact is erratic, affecting shutter release. This problem has nothing to do with the shutter mechanism itself, but with the electronic controls.

In my XA2 I had to press the cover in a special way to make sure that the shutter would fire: bottom near the lens, in the direction of the back of the camera.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem until I realised the release button on mine had to pressed in a

precise spot. Towards the front part of the red pad to be exact...not the middle and not

the back, only the front and it releases every time now. I can only assume it's seen a

lot of action over the years and needs some TLC now.