broken nikon 18-70

cameron_price

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I don't recall. Hmm, don't know what a elicoidal is either. I just took mine apart until I found the loose screws. I did NOT take it apart from the back, all from the front. The biggest challenge was getting all the little slots and grooves to line up. I suggest you take pics as you go along or even better video it if possible.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I did the repair and found the screw. Everything went back together fine, but now the focus will not lock. The AF light comes on in the viewfinder when it is focused, but the lens just goes from limit to limit and will not stop. I can use it for MF and it works fine, but AF would be nice. Any ideas?</p>

<p>Still sounds electrical to me, only recommendation is to check contacts on lens. clean with a pencil erasers. I don't do electronics, but if the electronics worked before you took it apart then something most likely is loose or not making contact. Post when you find it.</p>

• 5 months later...

<p>Glad I came across this site... my 18-70 is like new again and super quiet... lining the screw hole about 90 degrees to the left while the lens is upside down will help lining the plastic ring back up if you jiggle it slightly while twisting back to correct position. Took me 1/2 hour to get it lined up trying everything else... then i did it twice in about a minute.</p>

<p>Good luck to next victum of the loose screws</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hi,<br>

Because my wonderful 18-200 vr lens was dropped and is currently being repaired, I've just picked out my kit 18-70 DX lens after about 18 months of non-use. I immediately found it only focused up to about 35 and then stuck. I followed this thread and undid the shaft screw, thinking it would free up the zoom so I could get to the offending loose screw. I soon discovered it wouldn't budge so now I'm in a state of panic and wonder if anybody could offer some help PLEASE!</p>

<p>Ok, removed that, take off front part of lens. The plastic shroud that moves in and out is the biggest struggle. You have to untwist it in the right manner to unattach it. It has been a while since it did it but persistence pays. Do your best to look at how it looks together since it will be important to get it back together. The cam screws are under there and usually loose. I hear some have fallen out. If you can borrow a point and shoot camera, take photos, video to help. If you get frustrated take a break.</p>

<p>Twist and shout! I don't remember exactly. I know there are grooves with tabs that the sections ride on. Wish I remembered, but persistence pays. I do remember it took longer to get them together. Now I think of it, make some marks on the expansion sections to help in re assembly.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I too am having the same problem as a couple of posts have mentioned.<br>

I took apart the lens as instructed and tightened the screws, then reassembled and now the AF won't work at all! It makes a high pitched squeal and just jumps around the entire focal range.<br>

I took it into a respected camera store in Brixham and the Nikon technician suspected an alignment issue, he said it would cost at least £150 to send off to be fixed, more than i paid for the lens so i figured i'd try and ask around here for a DIY fix?<br>

Here's a video of my lens playing up : <a href="

ANY ideas?!</p>

<p>Will, it sounds like it worked before but doesn't now as far as the focusing goes. Not sure what would cause that. It could be electrical or a mechanic issue. I would look at the connections first on the lens and make sure that none of them are stuck. If that doesn't work then take it back apart and see if a wire is loose or something mechanical is binding up. Sorry no magic answer on this one. Maybe someone else has an idea for you.</p>

• 4 months later...

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=820880">Ken K</a>: </p>

<p>I had the same problem until 5 mins ago. One of the screws were totally loose. Now my lense is back to smooth zooming and fully operational. The funny thing is that I was about to sell this lense. I did a google search on how to lubricate lenses, and ended up at this post. Now I'm definitely keeping it!<br>

Thanks a lot, Ken!<br>

:D </p>