D40 users

ananda1

You can learn just as much using a D40 as you can shooting a D300. Yes, the 2nd control wheel on the D300 is nice. And the AF on the D300 is faster. But I've successfully used my son's D40 to shoot indoor basketball using monolights. It was fairly demanding shoot and the camera performed very nicely.

From a d40X owner.

I am perfectly happy with mine,it does what i want and what i had in mind when i started.

All the rest to have a good end result has nothing to do with the camera and then lens but with you,compostion,interresting subject,pov,unusual captures of subjects,being alert,being able to sense when something will happen,being patient,to see things..a free imagination...lol...all sunject which has nothing to do with the lens or the body but are so very important also for a satisfying end result.

i am very happy with my d40X lol and all the rest is up to me.

I use a D40 professionally everyday on the job. Food photography. There are few shortcomings for the price. My sessions are intense and last for hours. I think the camera is miraculous. My friend, a newspaper photographer, uses a D40x and she swears by it. It's true that one must access the menu to make some adjustments, but if a newspaper photographer (who must shoot quickly in order not to lose the moment) and a food photographer (whose subject loses its vitality every second it's out of refrigeration) then the camera can't be all that bad. I love it.<div>00PdKZ-45935584.jpg.4d5987f86a889bcc77309b0bf180e732.jpg</div>

"A D40/D60 would be pretty bad choice for a beginner as it is a very limited camera with poor overall user interface and poor compatibility to inexpensive prime lenses."

If D40/D60 is not a good choice for beginner then which camera is ?

"My general advise is to stay away from the entry-level cameras (i.e., D40/D60, Rebels/350-450D, K100D/K200D) because there were corners cut to make them as inexpensive as possible. Image quality and specs might sound good on paper, but real life ergonomics and features are often quite limited or limiting. An aspiring photographer will soon outgrow these cameras. "

Isn't the cut down versions of semi-pro cameras are the entry-level cameras?

I guess someone bought D40/D60 and got jealous of D80/D300 owner.

I have used D40x and I own XTi. They are very good DSLRs, gives me excellent images. They are worth $$$.