can someone push me over the edge?

Alex

I am about to pull the triger on a new camera. Currently I have an XT with a 17 35

2.8 3.5 ex Sigma and a 28 80 disposable sigma lens.

My first idea was to get the XSI body at $800 and a mid range lens. After some

research I tumbled into a 40D with a 28 135 3.5-5.6 IS kit for $1119. The lens by it

self is selling for $409 so the net body would cost $719 to $769 depending how

much I get for the lens should I not keep it. Over all it seems like a no brainer but

I like to get your opinions.

Is the 40D a better choice than the XSI? Aside from the construction the features

appear to be pretty similar and the XSI has the 2 extra Meg. Also and very

important for me. Is the 28-135 a good lens in terms of IQ?

Thanks for you imput.

Alex

Not sure about the lens as I only really use primes, but the 40D is excellent. I personally have one and am very pleased. I upgraded it from a 400D. The feel (size) and build quality is so much better. The fps are excellent and the AF is much better too.

Image quality is about the same and I wuldn't worry about the difference between 10.1mp and 12mp. The old 30D was only 8.1mp and took better images than the 400D. Its the lens thats most important.

I'd go with the 40D over the XSI any day.

The 40D is a great camera but most users would find the 28~135 lens to be a VERY inappropriate choice, because standard-to-long is not in itself a commonly required range, and it does not team up at all well with other lenses at either end of its range. The 28~135 was designed as a consumer-grade standard zoom for film bodies, and was one of the earliest IS lenses. On FF the focal length range is a much more sensible one, but I don't think that it is a lens that has achieved much popularity with FF digital users. I can only suppose that Canon are bundling this lens with the 40D so as to shift stock - it's not a natural companion for a 1.6-factor body at all.

I own the 40D as well and it was a significant upgrade from the XTi so I think it would be a waste to go from Rebel to Rebel. Its a very nice camera. But I then upgraded to a 1D Mark III. I bought the kit with the 28-135 and it sold at the time for $500, but you almost cant give it away. Its an ok lens, but dont think you will sell it and make some money back. If yoy want to move it, you'll have to sell for $150 and at that point just keep it. I still have mine. In fact I need to list my 40D with battery grip and both batteries now. If i keep waiting, the 50D will be out and I'll just have to keep it.

In comparison to the lenses that you have, the kit lens on the 40D may well be up your alley. As someone said, it doesnt go as wide on the crop sensor of the 40D as the kit lens for the XT does, but how often do you use that? Everybodies different of course and you may use it alot. I fing that the 28-135 is a good range and covers alot of missing focal lengths that I didnt have previously. Its also my first IS lens as well.

The 40D has ISO 3200. That sold it for me. How useable it is will depend on just what you are shooting.

Dan

It's hard to judge what would be best for you. Personally, I wouldn't bother upgrading an XT to an XSI. The feature differences aren't enough to make it worthwhile (to me), and image quality differences are microscopic. I would be much more tempted to upgrade to a #D series camera for the features, menu set-up, etc... Truthfully, I'd probably skip the body upgrade all together (or buy a much cheaper 20D/30D), and go for a lens and/or flash upgrade. In my opinion better lenses and flashes have much more impact on image quality than the minor differences between today's DSLR bodies and the ones of 4 years ago.

The 28-135 is a very ubiquitous lens, and as David said, there's a huge supply/demand imbalance on the used market. A lot of people move up to L glass from this lens, so you can pick one up very easily and cheaply on the used market if you are interested. IMO, it's one of the better consumer lenses (I think a 3.6 on Photodo's rating scale?). On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best, I'd say it's about a 7 in contrast, a 7 in sharpness, a 6 in chromatic aberration, and a 7 in distortion. Build would be about a 4. It has an older generation IS that doesn't work quite as precisely as the IS in my new 24-105L. It's really not that bad a lens, and I keep mine around as a backup and/or to mount up on a second camera if burning some film.

I agree with others that it's a bit long for a crop frame camera. I preferred my 17-40L as a walk-around lens on that format, but then again, I tend to shoot wider, rather than longer. If you prefer shooting longer, it might be an entirely appropriate choice.

Regarding the bodies: When I bought my first EOS, I was struggling between the Digital Rebel and the 10D. Well, it wasn't really that much of a struggle, to be honest. I think the Rebel was $700 and the 10D was $1200 at that time, so there was an appreciable cost factor. However, I found the Rebel more expert-hostile than the 10D. I remember it was harder or more awkward to access manual features, and it kept doing stupid things like popping up the flash when I didn't want it. I found it an enormously annoying and frustrating camera. The 10D, on the other hand, sang to me. It was very simple and intuitive, and it felt very nice in my hand, unlike the Rebel. The 10D was a no-brainer for me.

Although I don't have hands-on knowledge of either the XSi or the 40D, I'm pretty confident in saying you'd notice much of what I did. The form factor is of course the same, and most people prefer the feel of the larger body. (Having said that, there is also some appeal to the portability of the Rebel form factor.) The Rebel cameras are really geared towards the advanced point and shoot crowd, although they will grudgingly tolerate someone who wants to take control. The 40D is going to be more user-friendly for a more advanced photographer but less satisfying for a more casual photographer. Both cameras will probably tolerate all skill levels to some extent. The 40D is much tougher, but the Rebel models aren't exactly flimsy either. I've heard stories of both being dropped onto hard surfaces, and I've not heard of a bad fall killing either one, much to my surprise.

I was going to write that having a 28mm short end on your lens would be limiting, but you already

have another lens that goes to 17mm...

I will point out that those inexpensive 28-135mm zooms are left overs from film SLRs, where

they were good all-around lenses. In that capacity they are a bit on the long side for a 1.6x crop

sensor DSLR like those you are looking at.

Regarding the comparison between the 40D and the XSi, there are good arguments for either, but

which arguments prevail for you would be the important question. For example, if the marginally

higher MP count and at least equivalent IQ of the XSi are important you might find that to be the

better choice. If you need a faster burst mode for shooting action sports the 40D might be a

better choice.

Have you found the construction of your XT to be a problem? If not, you would likely be quite

happy with the XSi. You could invest savings, if any, in lenses and other stuff.

Dan

Plan A: Put the Sigma 28-80 on the XT and sell them together. Keep the Sigma 17-35 for the moment. It gives you a zoom range of about 28-56 in full frame on both the XSi and the 40D. Now buy the 40D with the 28-135 which gives you a 45-216 view on a film camera. Not too much overlap and a zoom range that equals 28-216 or so. Both lenses are mid grade consumer models and you can upgrade them later on.

Plan B. Dispose of the XT and both Sigma lenses. Buy the XSi plus the Tamron 17-50/2.8 and the Tamron 28-75/2.8. Later on you can add something like a 70-200/2.8 and then upgrade to the D50 or D60 body in the future if you wish. I suspect the XSi with 12MP will have a performance difference you can see compared to the XT with 8 MP when both are used with the same lens, not to mention a lot of other improvements and features.

Alex, you should be aware that Canon USA are offering a mail-in rebate of $50 for purchase of a 40D or 5D by someone who owns (and has registered) one of the Digital Rebels (any one of the four). This offer is good for a 40D/5D purchase through July 19, 2008, and is on top of the $200/$300 price reduction/instant rebate. Search "Canon EOS 40D or 5D Upgrade Exclusive $50 Mail-In Rebate" for the form.