What Bags are You All Using to Shoot Weddings?

niccoury

I have Domke F-2b and it's by far the best, no-BS, bag ever. For all my work as a newspaper

photog, it never leaves my side.

For my wedding work, my second shooter last time had a Lowepro Sideline Shooter along with his

well-worn and faded Domke. He liked it quite a bit for quicker action shots.

Any other recommendations and photos of you in action at the wedding using said bag?

Thanks,

~ nic

Here my "Mixed Bag" Kata Roller with Canon and Nikon gear. One reason I like this "systems" bag over others because it has a bright yellow interior which makes it easier to see the contents in a

dark corner of a reception hall,

It is also padded better than any other bag I've used, yet it's lighter in weight. The rollers are Kata's "Trolly Insert" rather than built-in, so you can use the roller part on different sized Kata bags ... plus,

the wheels are the dual type that can be expanded for extra stability for longer hikes, like at the airport.

At larger weddings I draw from this roller bag and use a small Boda lens bag with a couple of lenses, a spare flash, CF cards and batteries.

For less damanding situations, I can just use the Boda and carry the camera.<div>00PfHk-46375684.jpg.8d38faef2e66c8f42442a17230e28326.jpg</div>

Not to mention a lot of posts over time on the same topic. Do a search. I just want to add--think about how you work and use what works for that method. It is going to be different for each individual. The person in the post above likes a belt. Others can't use a belt.

I like to be as modular as possible, so I can change things around when I need to. I don't always bring the exact same gear to every wedding. Right now I use a belt, a small shoulder bag, a rolling hard case, and a 20" duffel bag with one set of lights in them. I mix and match according to the task at hand, so I can have the right gear at the right time.

Another thing to consider is security. I've had stuff stolen before. Be sure you have that aspect covered.

Calvin Klein...

I had to post this as I am getting ready to leave for a wedding in 2 hours.

Zipper is busted it's not designed for photo equipment it says Calvin Klein on it ! but I have loved it.

I will be purchasing a Porta Brace Field production case next month.<div>00PfP1-46399584.jpg.46d5437585411d5a05fc9ab61bc7baf7.jpg</div>

That is a great, Jonathan. Reminds me of my black canvas bag that has no dividers. I've had it for 30 years. It is still fine, and I still use it to carry gear. The other day I stuffed my Norman 200B pack and head into it for a family portrait up the side of a steep hill. Everybody should have a no-tech, all purpose, pet bag.

When I first started working as a photojournalist in the 70s, everyone had a Domke

bag. So I bought one. Since then, I have acquired, usually as gifts or photo awards,

various bags.

If you see me on the street today, I will be carrying my 30 year old Domke. The

main advantage is that it is light weight.

I recently was asked to endorse Tamrac and was given a bag as a sample. The

bag alone weighed 3 lbs.!!!!!!

I also have a newer Domke, which is a great bag, but the original is better. If you

can find one, buy it!!!

Back during the olden days of film, I met a photographer whose assignments

included magazines and book covers and other commercial gigs and she once told

me that on many assignments where it involved working outdoors in large cities she

would carry her camera in a brown paper grocery bag because she felt it was safer.

Then when the opportunity presented itself she'd take it out, fold up the bag, do her

thing, then move on. She used only one camera, Hasselblad, usually one at most

two lenses, a few rolls of film and that was it. She felt it was less threatening to her

as well as safer to have her stuff in a bag that hardly anyone would construe with

contents of expensive camera gear.

This was during the days when you took far fewer images on assignment than now.

She even dressed down so as she would blend in with the people where she was

working.

So the idea I presented was to possibly get bags that don't tell others who may be

tempted or looking to steal your stuff.

I thought it was interesting.

Although I've taken a break from shooting weddings as I have two young kids and a full-time job as an art director, I have a Kinesis belt system and a Domke F-1x (I shoot film). On the belt I have <a href="http://kgear.com/m/">these</a> on each hip plus a <a href="http://www.kgear.com/a/A291.html">stuff sack</a> in the rear for exposed film.

<p>I carried two Leica M's w/50mm & 35mm attached in the smaller bag, and a Canon 1v w/85mm f/1.2 (hood reversed) in the larger (discontinued) bag. Extra film, lenses, flashes, etc in the Domke. I cut off the strap on the Domke and use an Optech stretch neoprene SOS strap; if I didn't my shoulder would be toast.

<p>Kinesis has a weakness noted by someone above...it's hard to fit between tables/people at the reception because the bags do not slide around your waist like the Think Tank system does. Kinesis bags are fixed in one place.

<p>However, the Kinesis system is top notch, used by photojournalists, etc. <a href="http://www.kgear.com/c/C447.html">This holster</a> in particular would draw my attention because it can handle any lens with a hood attached.

<p>Instead of the Domke, I was going to use a roller, but for me, there are too many steps involved to bounce up and down.