Hey! Street Shooters!

>>>Same way I feel about those who shoot landscape, cars, wildlife, buildings,

statues, and boat marinas. Tired and way over-done that says nothing that hasn't been

said thousands of times before...

Not much different the endless stream of so called street photography.

In regards to Gilden....all gimmick.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"New Yorkers are touchy with street photography....capturing someone in a candid moment is like a betrayal of an unwritten rule. "

Completely ridiculous, but surprising from someone who attempts street photography. Rather strangely, I imagine, because in an earlier post John's street photo advice included aoplogizing to subjects, lying to them and saying you didn't see them in the shot, chastizing them for ruining the shot by looking at the camera, and giving a thumbs-up. Mystifying.

"In regards to Gilden....all gimmick."

So what? Do you dismiss Mappelthorpe for using the tropes of classical portraiture to highlight the scuzzy and shocking? Do you dismiss the gimmick of white backgrounds used by Avedon?

I'm glad Art started this conversation. It's evolved into something fascinating and revealing of our diverse views.

Having spent several years in and around NYC as a kid in the '60s, I see Gilden's work as a labor of love. I know these people he's photographed. They look like the people I saw back then. I see a lot of love and irreverent, but not disrespectful, humor in his photos.

This *is* what people look like. If you don't like it, don't blame the photographer. He's just showing us, in still frames, what we see every day.

His manner may seem brusque to some, but he's no different from the Good Humor man and hot dog truck vendor who patrolled my Mount Vernon neighborhood down the street from Lincoln Elementary school, way back when. They may have seemed a bit brusque with us clammoring, sweaty kids, but it didn't stop us from rushing outside every summer day with quarters in hand.

Is it me or is yet one more photographer snapping pictures of strangers on the streets of NYC as much a cliche as taking photos of sunsets.

Do something different- do Des Moines or Dayton. It will certainly be more challenging, and don't expect the fabeled indifference of New Yorkers. Go away from midtown to the middle of the ghetto.

Take pictures that show something dynamic happening- have we really deteriorated from Hank Bresson, Erwitt, and those others into random shots faces not showing anything but annoyance?

Hard to tell from the video clip- are only littler people shot? Big guys, groups of teenagers? Penetrate into challenging subjects, who will not be so passive.

• 1 month later...

.[. Z, Sp ...

Being a life long New Yorker, I know that myself, my friends, and family are no callous and cold to having someone blast

away in their face. It's not appreciated. Period. Life experience.

Second, shooting civilians on the street, one thing. Shooting uniforms and soldiers, as the post that was cited earlier

was in reference to, another thing. Civilians get mad, in New York, you shoot a soldier with a gun, they can have you

arrested is you don't quiet it down and get out of there.

Taken out of context, spun, and for what? It many weeks for me to find those comments you both made, because I don't

live in a forum.

Mystifying.

<I>"...in New York, you shoot a soldier with a gun, they can have you arrested..."</I>

<P>

You shoot anyone with a gun and they can have you arrested, that's why I use a camera.

<P>

Based on your absurd commentary, I don't think you live in the NY we're talking about.