Filters

blades

Hi guys

Using a D80 with 18-135, just got it and want to get a couple of filters before

europe holiday in six weeks, what is the best polarising filter you recommend, is a

circular the standard?? not quite sure if this is the norm as im just starting out.

Also as i want to take shots of eiffel tower etc at night, (im taking tripod) do you

think the above lense will be ok, as in fast enough?? or should i invest in

something else? would it be worth investing in remote?? thanks in advance for any

tips you can share....dont want to miss the opportunity. Ill be out practising this

weekend at night, six weeks until we leave.

thanks

Sounds like a fun trip.

Circular Polarizer are the best. You just turn it until you get the right effect. I have never used any other type.

If you bring your tripod your lens will do fine. If money is not problem I would buy a 50 f1.8 for around 100 USD or a Sigma 30 f1.4 around 300 USD I think. These lenses are fast enough if you need to take any shots at night and you can't use your tripod. Inside a restaurant, etc. Every body loves the Nikon 50, the Sigma there are people who will recommend it and some that will tell you not to get it.

The wireless remote is not really a big deal. you can use the self timer but I would suggest you get the regular remote to avoid camera shake when you take shots at night. Rene'

To be short, circular polarizers are required with semi-translucent mirrors, it means almost all modern AF cameras. Linear polarizers are usually restricted to the older manual focus cameras.

IMO your lens is right, unless you want to show a shallower depth of field on your images. Even with a f1.4 lens you`ll probably need to use tripod to have a crisp image.

Mark, A circular polarizer will help achieve a darker blue sky if you have the Sun at approximately right angles to the line of sight to your subject. A graduated ND filter will help darken the washed out overcast sky if the Sun is not visible. A starburst filter (4x, 6x, 8x, 16x) will add sparkle to your night photos. Just don't over do it as it can defeat the purpose. A mini tripod and a cable release are essential for night photos.

The mini tripod is easier to conceal from the authorities who insist on "No Tripods" or "Permit for Tripod". Enjoy.

Be advised that Pola filters can cause an awkward looking, uneven darkening of skies with wide angle lenses. They work best at 90` angles to the sun, and many ultra wide angle lenses have wider than 90` angles of view. And even if a WA has an 74` angle of view, the best framing of a scene may not coincide with the 90` area of greatest polarizing effects. The good news is that a filter's effect can always be seen in the VF, but sometimes you have to look carefully.

Hi Mark,

you've gotten some good answers here. Here are my thoughts....

1, it's easy to fall in love with a polarizing filter. I've not used one for a long time & did so again just the other week - - made me fall in love all over again. I use them when I shoot near water & I wish to remove reflections. Also on foliage in nature shots. Not to mention the fact that I end up with blue skies again in Los Angeles. ;-) They are a wonder when used correctly, but will cut the amount of light you get. For a trip to Paris I would not consider a polarizer a must, but if you're going to Versailles & want to shoot in the gardens & all the fountains there & all over Paris..... then a polarizer may well be something you would enjoy.

2, if you get one - - make sure you know how to work it before you leave.

3, Remote - - don't think you need to spend money on that right now. You might wish to get a fast prime to bring along for inside instead. Someone suggested the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - - sounds like a good idea. All the nice restaurants in the evening etc. Strolling down Champs Elysees etc a faster lens will be wonderful for that.

4, tripod - - not all places will let you bring one in as far as I can remember....

More than anything - - have fun.

Paris is a beautiful city with a lot of history. Make sure you see some old Roman aqueducts while you're there....

Lil :-)

hi again guys, just checking out my prices for lens, i had to buy local in most cases shipping down to little NZ is too costly i can get:

Nikon AF 50mm F1.4D lens for $469 NZ$

Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm F1.8D Autofocus Lens $229

Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF Lens $635

this is just a quick sample of what i see locally, taken inyo account, i would like to learn wedding photography, within the next couple of years, what would be your recommendation??, money is tight as we save to go away, however i had a habit of getting what i will get best value from long term, (when the mrs isnt watching of course ; ) many thanks