Scan files and EXIF

I have a large number of scanned image files and I like to include as much

information about the image into the metadata as I can. I add camera, lens,

date, time, exposure, film, captions, title, etc. I would like to include what

scanner was used for the scan (e.g. Imacon 949, Heidelberg Tango, Nikon 5000 ED,

etc.) but I can't seem to find a suitable EXIF field for the scanner type. Do

others do this, and if so, what EXIF tag do you use for the scanner type.

Thanks.

Thanks. I have the original data in my notes. Naming the directory will not be sufficient as the files will be organized and stored differently over the years as Digital Asset management software evolves, so it is important that the data be embedded in the file. Coding it into the camera name is awkward, as there are a multitude of cameras (Nikon FM2, F4s, N90s, F3HP, F5, etc.).

I think coding it into the "Source" IPTC field will work, and will be visible in several of the software applications that read this type of data.

You can enter most of the information that you want using utilities called Exiftool and Exiftool GUI. This allows you to edit and enter EXIF, XMP, and IPTC data. I don't think it has a field for a scanner but there is a field for software that you can use. You can enter into fields such as F-stop, shutter, lens, ISO, etc.

One warning would be not to use both the EXIF image description and the IPTC caption, as we have found that some programs (e.g. Lightroom) seem to get confused because they only look for one "text" description.

If you search "Exiftool and GUI" you should be able to find links to these programs (Freeware).