Charging batteries in different country

I read the warning sign on this converter/adapter kit I was looking at. It said

not to use it for battery rechargers...

so how safe is it to use an international converter/adapter to charge my

batteries abroad?

Most (not all) recent chargers and power supplies are universal, saying 100-240V 50/60 Hz. These will work anywhere in Europe or Asia if you have the right socket adapter. Universal chargers tend to be very light weight because they use electronic switching rather than transformers to produce the low voltage for the charger. You can purchase a set of passive socket adapters at any travel, luggage or electronics store.

Most hotels in Europe and Asia shut off the room's power when you are away - using the magnetic room key to enable the power. Most, however, have one unswitched outlet for computers and battery chargers. I carry a simple, non-voltage-protected power strip which allows me to connect several chargers or devices to a single outlet, using a single pin adapter. That keeps things humming while I'm away for the evening.

I have chargers for my Nikon D50 and Canon SD870. So I can just buy the adapter only for it and use it in Malaysia? So instead of the usual $30+ converter/adapter kit combo, I can buy just the adapter to fit socket...

Malaysia produces power at 240 V and 50 Hz and their outlets require a type G plug (three prongs with a single blade with the edge vertical and the other two with the edge horizontal). I have successfully charged my D50 in Fiji which I believe is also 240 V and 50 Hz and in a host of other places in the world with 230 V 50 Hz power using only the plug adapter. You can look at the label on the back of the charger and it should have a box labeled: FOREIGN and on a separate line INPUT:100-240 V, 50 -60Hz 0.25 A. As long as the power output for the country you are going to is within that range stated you are good to go as long as you have an adapter plug. The same is true for any universal electronic device including computers and cell phone chargers. For a picture of what the G plug looks like and power data for virtually every nation in the world check out the World Electric Power Guide at http://www.kropla.com/electric.htm

You can also get a separate power cord with a figure 8 connector for your charger, if your charger uses a standard figure 8 connector. I generally carry a cord for each country's power connection and use it with all my chargers. This is a bit easier than carrying cord and adapter.

In some countries, such as India, there are often wall outlets with US type connectors. The output is still 220 but the charger doesn't care, modern ones use whatever they are connected to, as mentioned above.

I'm stationed in Germany and was concerned about charging my camara and laptop. I was using a transformer to charge my camara battery when I happened to flip the charger over and saw the 100-240 V on the back. I got an adapter for the outlet and have never had a problem.