Choosing a system

I'm sure this ground is well worn so I wouldn't mind being pointed in the

direction of a previous discussion. I am looking for opinions on which of the

many studio lighting systems to choose from.

I've always used Speedotrons, black line in nearly every studio I've worked in.

I'm putting together a lighting set up which should be fairly portable, but will

still be powered by AC. There are so many systems out there and the photo plus

expo isn't for several months.

Any opinions on who makes the most dependable, portable, systems.

FWIW, On loaction I'll be photographing mainly people, but when I'm at home I'll

be doing product.

Thanks

I have been using Elinchrom for 12 years. I have a 2 head kit (500) and it was 12 years before the one head needed a $180 repair, and the kit has seen a lot of action and been beat-up, fallen out of a moving car (in it's case) so I think I can vouch for the durability of Elinchrom. The car incident was long before one head needed repair.

A week ago I bought a kit with three RX600 heads. I found that with digital I often couldn't REDUCE output power enough on the old 500 heads. The new heads have an output range of 600w - 18w, which is perfect. With the skyport system (which is also brilliant and far cheaper and smaller than the pocket wizards) I can even control output power from the transmitter on the camera. The new heads also have a buildt in fan, it's a bit noisy, but with digital I tend to shoot more frames, quicker so the heads also get hotter.

My only gripe with the RX600 heads was the awfully ugly styling in clear plastic and logo in a cheap looking windows font. I hated the way they look. It turned out that one of the heads I got had a defective slave, I notified the dealer who offered to replace the head immediately. When I wen't to collect the head, the dealer pulled the head from the box and we were both surprised to see that the plastic casing was now a very attractive dark grey!!! The dark grey heads, it turned out, was due to be introduced at PhotoKina in september, but the dealer got a shipment of them and didn't realise the change in colour. The logo was also redesigned. The dealer remembered that I had expressed my dissatisfaction with the clear plastic look and offered to replace my other two heads as a courtesy. So on Monday I will take my other two heads in and trade to black!!! You also asked about portability, the cases for the heads and stands are compact and of high quality but ofcourse three heads and stands does weigh a fair bit.

Anders - When I first read your post it was like looking in the mirror. Your experience is exactly the same as mine. I've been shooting Elinchrom for about 10 years. My first heads were the el500s and my only complaint is that they are often too powerful. The Style Rx heads are perfect but not as attractive...I love the old aluminum construction of my El500s :-)

To thread starter - I think Ellis gave you excellent advice. Speedotron is great workhorse equipment. If you're already familiar with it then it should be easy for you to make good purchasing decisions when starting your own studio kit

Consensus Trance...

I too love the old aluminium construction on the EL500s, appearantly you can still buy them, they are now called classic (!). The advantage with the plastic is (says the dealer) that it is stronger...it doesn't dent.

Styling wise I feel very lucky that I will end up having the RX600s in dark grey, rather than the silly looking transpearant ones I brought home with me last week.

I am unfamiliar with the Speedotrons, maybe it's a US thing. Most pro's in the UK use either Pro, Bowens or Elinchrom. I like the Elinchroms for their durability and price compared to Pro.

In terms of investing in lights, if they are something that you will actually use, as opposed to 'have', it is essential to buy something that works (for example Elinchrom). They are not VERY expensive and once you have them they will last a decade or two, probaby with very little maintainance.

I know people who have bought the cheap ones, all the time they used them, they were an annoyance and not doing what they were meant to, eventually all bought either Elinchrom or Pro... better to buy the right stuff from the start.

• 3 weeks later...
I just wanted to add to this thread. I recently did a shoot where I had to shoot on two setups, more or less simultaneously. The two setups were similar, white paper rolls and the head lightingsetups. One setup was done with my (old) Elinchroms, the 500 heads and the other with a friends Pro system. Using the same camera, a Canons 1Ds II, I shot similar images in the same way on both systems, I was very surprised that only one in 3 or 4 frames on the Pro setup was correctly exposed, some frames were as much as 1-1ᄑ stops under exposed. The Elinchrom shots were all bang on, no difference at all, not even a fraction. I haven't gone into elaborate testing or anything, but I am guessing that the Pro's for some reason fire before they are fully charged, thus allowing an underexposure. With my Elinchroms I have in the past experienced a 'no-fire' because the heads weren't ready, but this was quite a surprise to me that the Pros were that much slower. I guess I could have switched the 'beep' on and waited for them, but it just didn't occer to me that this could be a problem with one of the most expensive systems on the market.