Wide angle Zoom

jfr1

I am considering buying the SIGMA 12-24mm F4,5-5.6 EX DG ASPHERICAL

HSM lens for my EOS 5D camera. Does anyone here have experience with this

lens? Would you recomend it to other photographers? I know it has won awards

and stuff, but I would like to hear from actual photographers.

Thanks for feedback.

Caspar Knox

I'm not familiar with that lens but will it mount on a 5D? Usually the 10 and 12 mm lenses are EFS style mounts. I use the 17-40L on my 5D with great results and it's a constant f4 aperture throughout the zoom range. The 17mm end on a full frame is really wide unless you absolutely need the extra width.

I have it for the rare occasions when I want/need to go superwide for landscapes. The lens is very sharp in the center but very soft in all corners - even stopped down - I knew this was the case from the various reviews I had read about this lens. If you don't tilt the lens straight lines stay surprisingly straight - even at the wide end of the lens.

It is indeed the widest non-fisheye lens you can get for FF cameras - I use it on my 5D.

Focus is fast and quiet - no issues there. The front element almost looks like a fish-eye lens - it is very curved and you cannot put a filter on it - but that is really not an issue for me.

Check out FredMiranda for additional user comments about this lens.

Daspar, I have used the Sigma 12-24, (on 35 mm flm body) and the Canon 17-40mm on the Canon 5D. They are both good lenses with little to choose between them for sharpness and contrast though the Sigma has a warmer colour bias. However I would always pick the Canon over the Sigma unless I specifically wanted the 12-17 range. (which I would not characterise as 'quirky' rather than 'ridiculous - ':-)).

The reasons why I would choose the Canon are that the Sigma is bigger, and heavier, does not easily accept front filters and the bulbous front element is rather vulnerable. In short the Canon handles much better.

The Canon 16-35mm will get you that extra millimetre but if you specifically want the 12mm to 17 mm range then the Sigma is the only zoom lens that will do it. You could go gfor the 14mm prime but that reduces your versatility down to one focal length.

So I would go for the Canon 17-40 (or 16-35) unless you really, really wnat the wider part of the range.<div>00PZwe-45013584.jpg.ed122471c02c92c8a071cbf5ce2499b2.jpg</div>

Sorry, the Tokina 12-24 will not work on a full frame camera like Caspar's 5D. It's a crop sensor only lens.

The Sigma 12-24 is designed for full frame, but has it's share of compromises from what I understand.

The EF 14/2.8L II is probably your best bet, but be sitting down when you look up the price.

The new Nikon 14-24/2.8 might just motivate Canon to build something similar. The Nikkor is a full frame lens, and pretty amazingly high quality at that. It's also quite pricey, though.

Other than that, Canon's 16-35/2.8L II is your next alternative, or the 17-40/4L for a few dollars less.