24-105 L only zooms between 105 and 70, then stops

peterlyons

I guess I knocked something loose, but nothing is rattling, and I can't seem to whack it back into

place, so maybe it's a trip to the shop, but I'm hoping to use this lens tomorrow if anyone has any

experience with this sort of problem.

My 24-105 was working normally. I put it down and motored my boat into a different position for

further shooting, and picked it up again. I was at the long end of the zoom, and zoomed wider,

only to find that it now stops very firmly at 70mm. If I twist harder, the rubberized grip twists on

the barrel, but the zoom doesn't budge. I've messed with it, knocking it, zooming in and out,

turning it this way and that, to no avail.

Yeah, I know, I need to have it fixed. But an easy at-home solution would be most welcome! So...

has anyone else experienced this problem and know how to fix it? I can't see anything that

appears loose or misaligned when I look through the front element and zoom or focus.

You could always just buy a 24-70 f2.8 to cover the lower end of the range - with a one

stop bonus - and keep your new 70-105mm f4 for anything needing a little reach...

Seriously though, I'd send it back to Canon before it gets further damage by repeated

"messing" and "knocking". If it's still under warranty and you are sure you didn't

damage it, then you could see if they will look at it as a warranty issue.

Good luck.

Can you find a rental. Boats don`t have suspension so just a lil cross wave can be a severe knock, not sure how this lens is built but I`ve had a roller bearing replaced in a lens, this kept the track in place, if there is one dislogded it could jam in the groove and forcing do more damage. One of those times where large overlaps are handy

good luckm

Yep, you're both right... I guess it's time for it to take a trip to the shop.

I probably could find a rental in the meantime, but having this one fail forced me to

rediscover the joy of shooting super-wide with my 17-40. So I believe I'll just use that

one instead for a while, and will probably love it.