Metering

chinmaya

<p>

I have been experimenting with my XTi metering system. I have tried Evaluate and

Partial a lot. Don't know how to use Center Weighted.

<p>

<p>

I have kind of 50/50 luck with Partial and Evaluate metering.

I don't seems to get one of them working under all situations. I had to switch

between them on occasion to occasion. May be that's how it is.

<p>

<p>

What metering techniques do you use often?

<p>

<p>

What metering works best for you under what conditions?

<p>

<p>

Thanks

<p>

<p>

Chinmaya

<p>

>>>"I don't seems to get one of them working under all situations."<<<

That is why there are different modes. If just one always worked then that would be the only one they would have on the camera.

Having said that, most would agree that evaluative is the most versital. Most folk just meter with it(myself included) and simply increase or decrease "exposure compensation"(EC) when needed.

This is where you need to learn how to read a histogram... so you can determine when + or - EC is needed. :o)

The histogram is your most important tool on the camera... right after the shutter button.

Jason

To add to my above post and the give some warning, Do not, and I mean DO NOT relie on the image on the camera's LCD to dertermine proper exposure. It will get you messed up. You must learn to use the histogram.

It will take some time to understand (I had to read several articles befor it finally clicked) but it is well worth it.

Jason

http://photozone.de/light-metering

Like Jason said, there are different metering modes for the same reason there are different shutter speeds and apertures available to you.

The above is a tutorial that's not too complicated but explains the basics better than your manual, witch BTW, is always a good place to start for questions like this. Good luck

Nice link Steve.

I have found spot to be the best and use it in manual mode. Then partial, then center. I never use evaluative. Just like I never allow the camera to choose my focus points automatically.

The ability to interpret light will really improve one's photography.

http://www.spotmetering.com/

This book made all the difference in a very simple way.

Also, site member Giampi gave me some excellent tips with hand held spot meters and color meters.

I would not depend on a histogram b/c you can get it right the first time by metering correctly from the start.

Metering modes are really nothing more nor nothing less than our instruction to the camera as to which parts of the scene should be considered when determining an exposure.

If you use evaluative metering then you're saying to the camera "consider the entire scene" - if you use partial metering then you're saying "the exposure of the middle bit is the most important" - and if you use centre-weighted average then you're saying "The whole scene is important, but more so the centre than the periphery". So correct exposure mode is always the first thing to consider.

Unfortunately, there's more to it than that. Built in metering isn't always that smart and (without going in to too much technical detail) it pretends that every scene is medium gray - and when it's not - then compensations need to be made - in short - if the scene is predominately white then it'll underexpose by around 2 stops, so you need to set EC (Exposure Compensation) to +2 to compensate. If the scene is predominantly black, then the camera will over expose by up to 2 stops, so you need to set EC to -2.

Hope this helps, Cheers, Colin, photo.net/photos/colinsouthern

As you can read from the different post above there are different ways to use the meter and its various modes. It will all come down to your style and type of photography. I encourage you to explore different methods and techniques. As you have read the method that I laid out is the polar oppisite of what *Correct Exposure* discribed.

Both work but are geared for different styles and situations. I use manual mode often when the scene is constant. But with a fast pace event...I have to let the camera do some of the work, so I shoot Av and evaluative metering. Then as I said I make adjustments on the fly with EC and a quick "chimp".

"Chimping" BTW is what they call it when a photog looks at his or her LCD after taking a pic. Some say it is due to the OOHH OOHH sound that they make.

I do very much encourage you to use "center point only" for focusing. The only time I let the camera choose the points is during the "Hail Merry" shots. Those are the ones where I am literally shooting from the hip...or over my head. :o)

Truely you should learn and understand both methods and when to apply them. Assumeing you are serious about this. :o)

Good Luck

Jason