hdr panaramic

Louie, applying HDR to panoramas can be tricky because of the lighting. For example, if you are doing daylight shots, the sun is constantly moving through each set of exposures. That will affect all your images.

Definitely try it but you get better results if you can work quickly. The price of digital film is pretty cheap so experiment with it.

if you are making an hdr pano, you should know that PTGuiPro software can take the multiple exposure shots as is and make the hdr pano direct.

if you shoot into the sun, i would suggest running the brackets at plus and minus 2 plus center to 5 shots each.

If you can make good panoramas and good HDR pictures, then you are virtually there. I have done some experiments and use the following technique in CS3. Make each set of HDR photos at the same exposures, then select the photo set with the widest dynamic range and merge it to HDR, switch to 16 bit/channel and tone map using Local Adaptation. Adjust the tone mapping curve and make a note of the input/output % at each inflection point you have set on the curve, and then save. Repeat this merge to HDR for each shot of the panorama and set the tone mapping curve for each frame exactly as you did in the first merge. When you have completed the HDR conversion you are ready to create your panorama and there should be no artifacts from "exposure" variation.

I have briefly looked at PTgui but the merge to panorama seems less forgiving of parallax errors than CS3 - I didn't progress to HDR and panoramic merge with PTgui.

Absolutely you should look at the work of Theo, pretty amazing and he doesn't use even a pano head to avoid parallax errors but compensates with a large overlap. Good luck, and I hope you post some results on PN! Cheers, RickDB