35 Summicron - information on different generations?

There seems to be a number of opinons on which of the various generations of 35

Summicrons is the 'right' one to own. Some people think that the pre aspherics

are preferable to the current lens. Others suggest that the current aspherical is the

best ever. Can anyone help me to understand the differences? What might make

one version more desireable than another?

William D. Lester

I think you're inviting a lot of pure personal preference here, rather than matters of fact. One person may insist on the fabled bokeh of the Version 4, while someone else doesn't care about bokeh and insists on the sharpness of the current ASPH version, while still another dislikes the ASPH version because it's too large ...

I expect that all of the 35 Summicrons are good enough for most of us. You've got to decide for yourself which small difference is most important to you --- or, whether some alternative (say, a ZM Biogon) is the way to go.

There's no such thing as a bad Summicron!<P>Essentially, each generation of lens has produced sharper results at maximum aperture, but at usual working apertures there is little to choose between them (except size, weight, and cost). I have V1 and V3, and love them both.

I have a quite elderly 35/2 and also a copy of the current aspherical version and the newer one is definitely sharper and better at wide apertures, but they you probably know that. The older lens is still quite good though.

In general, one might expect Leica lens designers to learn something over the years, and their design parameters seem to be to improve the wide open performance as well as the performance overall.

I remember a couple of years back on this forum, when excellent (even brilliant) photos were almost a norm, I saw many 35mm shots - all generations of 'Cron 35/2, and also many 35/1.4 Summilux shots (shot exclusively on film).

From the Web images posted, one could not tell which is which. All were outstanding.

That said, a friend of mine is facing the same dilemma: which 35?

He aims for absolutely the best the money can buy, so I suggested that 35/1.4 Summilux ASPH would probably fit the bill :)

For myself, I'd rather go for 35/2 4th version (the so-called "Bokeh King", if I'm not mistaken)

:)

Denis

If it is made in Wetzlar, then it can be either an early version 1 or a late version 4 (very different indeed). If it is made in Canada, it can be version 1,2,3 or 4.

Fourht version Summis begin on serial# 2,974,251 (Hove) mostly black, some chrome, they have either a concave or a convex tab.