Film for backup?

graybrick

I am thinking of shooting a wedding or two soon, but my digital gear is limited to

one body and set of lenses. I do have a Canon FD system including two bodies

and a fairly comprehensive lens set including superwide and fisheye lenses. I'm

wondering if anyone shoots in similar situations, and what the horrors of using a

different format as a backup system might be? I'd like to use medium format for

select portraits as well, and my second shooter will likely be shooting film. Any

comments/ suggestions welcome, and I'll thank you in advance for telling me not

to bother.

I won't tell you not to bother. It works fine. I did that for almost a year. There should be no horrors if you know how to use the film body and lenses, and you bring film and keep it cool and fresh. I also don't see why you would have any trepidations about medium format. Use it if you want to use it, you know how to use it, and it fits what you produce for your client. I would, however, work out how you will handle it all, unless you have an assistant (not just a second shooter).

sure, you can do that, but if you want to be serious about it, save yourself the trouble and buy a second body. shoot with two bodies at the same time. a second body means more variety, fewer lens switches, always having a backup if you need one (along with a memory card or extra battery very quickly if you don't carry them in your pockets), plus it looks awesome to have two cameras. clients love it when they see their photographer has TWO cameras.

I use 645 and 6x7 film for the Formals and Portraits at some Weddings, whilst I now use digital, 135 and APS-C format for the majority of the coverage: I see no conflict or problems with this arrangement.

I do not like the idea of film as a `back up`, as you have described in the question.

Pedantic maybe, but I work with two cameras, the `back up` is in the camera bag, and is there should both my working cameras fail.

The point I am making is, the question you should be asking is can you work the Wedding with only one body?

And if the answer to that question is: No. . . . Then do you want your post production to be split between film and digital media?

I do not like the idea of two photographers using different media (aside from the Special medium format Portraits): that would not suit my studio`s workflow.

It might suit you, but, IMO, you should think that side of the equation through and give the necessary emphasis to it.

WW

Thanks everyone for your input. I started using digital about two years ago. Everything before that I did on film. I'm not put off by scanning negatives, and I use film almost as much as digital today. I generally carry a film body and a digital body, with an extra film body (Canon a1x2) and a Mamiya C330 in my bag. My only concern is should I have a problem with my digital body, I have no spare to replace it. I could shoot film only in a pinch, though for events I find that digital is less cumbersome in the end. There are certain shots (formals and some candids) that I prefer the 'feel' of film for, and so would carry the Mamiya and a 35mm even if I had a digital backup . I suppose I should have titled this 'mixed format with no digital backup'... If this becomes a regular enterprise for me (don't know if I'll enjoy the stress/time issues at this point) I'll look into buying a 5D and rounding out my digital kit a bit more...

I never physically carry two cameras around ---- but, I shoot film mainly > so a second Canon body is about $25........... although lately I have been carrying around a Canon 20 d for a backup, to ( just in case ) > yet I don't mix mediums. BUT I always have a backup in the car :::

To summarise: you seem to use both film and digital regularly, have a digital and two film cameras, have a medium format set up, plus there's a second shooter to capture what you don't. You have no problem with scanning negs and are not sure whether you will shoot weddings regularly.

I would say see how you get on. You have more than enough to get by for the time being, and only doing the work will let you know what modifications you need to make to your gear. You could end up purchasing something right now that you have no use for, or wishing you'd bought something else instead.

Probably just have a think about how you are going to co-ordinate it all.

I take it you have a flash though?

<p>Film and digital in combination can work well. It works even better if the cameras are

the same base model and you can share lenses. I shoot with two or three Leicas and at

least one is always film. I've never found it a complication or inconvenience having

different formats, and in some conditions I find that the different tonality and range of film

works better. Plus I find having at least one camera that functions entirely mechanically is

useful.</p>

<p>Depending how much film you shoot (and what emulsion) scanning can sometimes be

inconvenient. After doing my own for a while I found it more economical to outsource to a

pro lab and add the costs in to my pricing. Don't forget if you're doing your own you'll need

a quality scanner not a flatbed. YMMV depending on how quickly you need to turn the

work around. There's a big difference between scanning and finishing select items of

personal work and doing the same in bulk to consistent quality and for a deadline.</p>

<p>The only note of caution I'd add about MF is the limited speed of the lenses and

robustness of flash sync, especially if an old model. I shoot formals on a Hasselblad

503CW and it's superb for that purpose, but I wouldn't want it as my backup for any other

part of the day. If you plan to use flash make sure the PC socket is in good order and

you've got spare cables. Your C330 is probably 20+ years old and this is generally one of

the first things that fail.</p>