Ultimate Wedding Bag - Domke F2 - Photo available and recommendation to share

ty_mickan

I have never used one, but the disadvantage I can see is having to remove the lens to get the camera in the bag. That or move the interior compartment to one end.

This is not a big deal with a film camera, but a digital is another matter for dust contamination.

Many of the newer bags are made to hold the camera + lens with the lens down in a empty space.

"I used to use a similar bag, but have since moved to a LowePro backpack. Much more room and easier to carry than the style of bag under discussion in this thread."

I don't know about "much more room."

I have a Domke F2 bag filled with 3 F3HPs (one with MD-4 motor drive), 8 lenses from 20mm to 200mm, a teleconverter, 20 rolls of film, plus assorted filters and focusing screens. Oops, almost forgot the 4"x5" gray card and assorted manuals.

The problem with a backpack is that you can't work out of it. I carry a LowePro backpack when I travel, but I also bring a camera bag so I can easily change things without having to take a backpack off. I use the F2, it's a terrific bag and holds a lot. I shoot a lot of events and find it very easy to shoot from.

Yes I also have the Lowepreo Super Trekker II (massive piece of kit) which does hold more than the Domke (but suprisingly not all that much more). However as Jeff stated, you just can't work out of them for weddings and such things. I am not concerned with putting a camera in the bag with a lens attached, I just don't need to at an event as my camera is slung over my shoulder or in my hand. I keep a backup in it without a lens. This bag is not a "store it" bag that sits on the back seat of the car. I take my Super Trekker in the back which holds everything and I pick out of that and add to the Domke. The Trekker doesn't leave the car.

I use 2 different bags during a wedding and change out what is in them during the day moving gear in and out of a Tamrac rolling case that I keep in the trunk of my car. I have 5 bags for different needs as I like to have a bag that is as small as possible to make it easier for me to maneuver while holding the kit I need. There is no one size fits all for me.

I have a 20 year old Domke, and still use it from time to time. I have an equally old Domke tripod bag, which had it's handles cut when I had gear stolen. I still use it too.

The thing I find a bit of a problem is the structured pocket set. I like bags that one can change to accommodate changing gear, and sometimes I use dividers in highly unconventional ways. I also like bags that have exterior straps to hang other pockets or cases from. But I do like the longevity of the bag and the way it hugs the body and looks cool all faded and denim worn. I agree with Bruce--there is no ultimate bag for me.

I miss my F-2 :( Stolen with 2/3rds of my gear in 2004, and I never replaced it...

I actually don't have a camera bag anymore, bags (domke F-6 & Tamrac 614) are for lites and grip (4 VivitarHVs, superclamps, magic arms, universal stand adapters, studs, PocketWizards, RadioPoppers, homemade high capacity battery packs, clamps, zip ties, ball bungies, table top tripod, etc), then I tend to throw things like lite modifiers, batteries, cards, extra lens, etc into a waist bag and just sling the 2 cameras over the shoulders.