RSS feeds for albums

mwwhited

Since thousands of pictures are added every day, I doubt you'd really want that in a sitewide RSS feed.

I'm not sure an RSS feed for each album would be practical. Email notification on selected albums might be easier. I guess that's something Josh would have to add to his ever growing list of suggestions for the programmers.

It's something that has been talked about. But given how a number of users thought that Digg and the other social bookmarking sites were "stealing" images by linking to them, I'm not sure how successful I would be at pitching the idea of RSS feeds. But then again, it does seem to operate well at Flickr. So perhaps it is worth considering.

Email notification for a specific user would probably be a better idea. Perhaps tie it into the "interesting people" system.

I didn't mean for the entire site. I was thinking for farovite people. Maybe even particular albums for those people. Also it oculd be an optin kinda thing so you can approve or disapprove how can do it. Or maybe even require that you are a member of photo.net to use the RSS feature. The nie poart about RSS is that there are many programs already designed for the feed such as Internet Explorer, FireFox, Outlook. If it was email notification it would just be another message to go into the bucket'o'spam. Also you don't need a URL per album. It could just be some parameter added to the querystring for the folders that instead of returning the formated page returns an RSS feed to the pictures.

Just a thought.

-Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
I'd really like to have an RSS feed for my portfolio, to make it easier for people who are interested in my photos to see my images. Also, I'd like to be able to use the RSS feed to automagically add a slideshow to my blog. If some photographers don't like their images being "published" in this way, perhaps it could be an optional feature.