Q: Making large prints

robbedoes

I think there were extension columns made for this purpose, I think if I ever wanted to make large prints I would have to find some way of wall mounting the head and column and having an adjustable height enlarging table. No doubt some people will have made use of mirrors to reflect the image on to a wall or used a minox projector instead.

Steve

An extension column can maybe custom made.<br>

I guess I never will find a reflection mirror.<br>

Reverse mounting will not give a horizontal projection.<br>

Perhaps I'll remove the paper/easel plane and project trough the opening beneath it on a table as Steve sugested.

Robert, yes you could build a nice solid shelf (maybe made of of kitchen worktop) cut a square hole in it to match the base of your enlarger, drop the head to its lowest height and project onto a table below, you may want to get some one to help you test if it will work first so you get an idea where the image projects for sizes and distances etc. it would be a shame to got to all that effort to find the image fouls the minox enlarging frame, (you may need to raise the head a bit higher than the lowest point) - but I think it may work a treat. (no guarantees though...the risk is yours etc. etc.).

Steve

Robert,

Don't bother I just tried it - it doesn't work the enlarger base fouls the image

:-( and also exposes the transformer which is probably not a good idea!

Other idea is to remove the head and make a litte shelf for that instead:-)

I have no intention of making large prints (well not yet anyway) but I will keep thinking of how I would do it if I want to. Let me know how you get on.

Steve

Hi folks!

I have printed 40x50 cm for a photokina presentation of the copex material years ago. Therefore I bought a gery plastic drainpipe in the builders market for roundabout 3 Euros. These standard pipes are available with different lenghts. The tube has an inner diameter of 4 cm and a rubber ring inside one end as radial seal for the connection with the next pipe. The column of the MINOX enlarger has exactly 4 cm diameter. I only had to remove the head of the enlarger, then put the wire and the plug through the pipe, connect the plug again and then put the enlahead on top of the tube and fixed it a bit with tape. On the bottom plate of the enlarger I put an old back of a large picture frame. You know: these are sometimes made of this very stabil pressboard and keep flat and straight. I once had some digi photos of that construction but cannot find them right now - Martin: I guess I posted one or two in your yahoo group.

What is intereesting to know for self printing MINOXers: some enlargers model 3 have an extra extension part between the head and the bracket. This metal part enhances the distance between the column and the enlahead for some cm. My enlarger has been equipped with this metal part. Later on I bought a second enlarger which also has been equipped with this extension part. I can take a photo and post that for you. I never found any informations about this part as regularly available accessory.

Kind regards, Marcus

probably the best way is to make the largest print possible and then scan it. the reason I say best is that even at the largest stock enlarger size that you can print dust and scratches become a nightmare. If you scan it you can fix clean them up before printing larger... just my take.

Personally, I find that ~5x7" is about the largest size that I can *reliably* print from a Minox negative so I go in thinking that... if I want larger I go to larger format.

• 4 months later...