If you could have only 1 prime(or zoom) lens? Which?

robert_thommes

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This question has really taken off. And since I'm the OP here, I suppose I should also contribute a response as well. For a zoom: Tamron 28-75 2.8. And a prime: 50/1.8. I could probably live just fine with either of these lenses; though I do have need for longer(70-300IS) for my nature/wildlife outings.

Thanks to all for contributing.

I use my 50mm and my 30mm for EVERYTHING! !

honestly I love it for the low light and the ease of it.

I can't hold to much weight running around a retirement or function and it just works great EVEN at a SOCCER FIELD TRUTHFULLY! :)

I have found the 30mm Sigma (and it works on the D40X) on my Nikon D300 is a great addition for my Nikon 300mm where to 50mm didn't reach.

Zoom (and walk-around): Nikkon's 18 - 200 mm zoom. It is not the best lens around, and is not fast glass. But it covers the useful ranges, turning into an almost wide angle to almost telephoto, and pretty much gets all the shots. I have even seen a wedding photographer use this lens for all the shots.

Prime: Nikkor 60mm 2.8 macro. This turns into a 90mm portrait lens with a fantastic macro. I am taking a series of flower and nature shots, and this lens does not leave my D200.

Why in the world someone will use only one lens. If it's a question of budget, get a 50mm.

For my self, I work with a full frame and if I have to use only one lens, it will be my 85mm f1.2, because it is a fast lens, a portrait lens, a real fun lens, a small telephoto. and a very, very very sharp lens.

My second choise will be the Sigma 12-24mm, maybe it's not the best sharp lens like the 24-105mm but, what a field of view, what a composition nightmare, but what Wow picture go out of this one.