Tokina 100mm & 35mm on a 40D

Could anybody tell me how well the Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro performs? I have

found a good price (200GBP) on a brand new copy and am tempted. How does the

optical quality and AF speed and sound compare to the Canon. Does anybody know

anything about the Tokina 35mm macro? I would use both of these on a 40D. Many

thanks.

I have the Tokina 100mm. It's a great lens, easily as sharp as the Canon or Tamron 90mm. The Canon USM is the fastest focusing, but not always as accurate as the Tokina.

I don't know about the Tokina 35mm. I also have the Canon 60mm, the sharpest of any macro I have used. And the focusing is quick and accurate. Also it is small and light. I would think a 35mm macro would be a little short for many subjects, requiring you to get in very close. Even the 60mm seems that way at times, which is why I have the 100mm also.

Thanks for your responses guys. What appeals to me is, of course, the price and the fact that I don't need to use a lens hood due to the front element being so far recessed. From the reviews I have read it seems the AF is not as fast as USM (but still good) but more accurate than Canon's. However how quiet is it? I would not use the 35mm for macro - I would be interested in it for it's 35mm focal length because the other options such as the Sigma 30mm and Canon 28mm seem to have got bad reviews - photozone etc.

"I've yet to see any images from the 35mm macro, and I believe its release got put back, so presumably Tokina found a problem that needed fixing"

I think Tokina said something about AF problems, but they seem to have fixed that and the 35/2.8 macro for Canon EOS is shown as being in stock at B&H right now ($460). Note that it's APS-C only whereas the 100mm macro is full frame.

I haven't seen any reviews of the 35/2.8 macro in any mount yet either.