Spot-Metering and Images - Discuss and Advice needed

niccoury

I love spot metering on subjects. It really helps direct and move the light. Anyone else use it

much?

Also, do you as the photog like every single image you give a client? I don't mean in the way that

you want to put every image on your portfolio, but you have an appreciation for every photo you

give them?

~ nic

Nope, I use a handheld incident meter. What do you mean, 'direct and move the light'? I don't understand your statement.

I generally like every single image I give the client, but sometimes there are some that I don't like but feel I have to present, because they are of action that isn't shown elsewhere, or people. Most of the images I don't like end up on the cutting room floor.

I did an outdoor wedding yesterday, was on spot or spot averaging with LOW on the D lighting. I still would have to exposure compensate typically up 1/3 to 3/4 stop to get the look I like. Most of my shots were right on or withing 1/2 a stop which was good since I shot JPG the whole time.

Now I am going through the 1236 images (3.5 Gigs) so I end up with ~500 photos. I expect some large print orders composed many shots where I have the freedom to print nearly any aspect.

When deleting, I first make a back up of the full set, then I am careful not to delete those I didn't get too many photos of. I leave a few blurry shots that show movement, mixed indoor light color photos get switched to B&W and then I am rutheless with with any less than perfect photo of the bride and groom shots.