Anyone have two similar MF systems they can't part with?

butch_welch

I recently went back to film from 3+ years of shooting digital and now I have 2 separate but equal

systems. I sold one to buy the other, than sold the other to buy the one (again). And now I have

wound up with both at the same time. While both do pretty much the same thing I can't seem to

choose one over the other, I love them both. I shoot 120 square images only (mostly in B&W) and

have both a Rollei SL66E and a Hasselblad system. I have tried to stagger lens selection so I

don't duplicate lenses but there is considerable overlap. For the Rollei I have 40, 50, 80, 150, 250

and 500mm lenses, prism, 2 120 backs and 2 extension tubes. For the Hasselblad I have The

501CM with 50CF FLE, 80CF, 100CF and 350CF; an SWC/M, 3 120 film backs and a prism. While

I can do almost anything with either system (I am mostly interested in landscape type things) there

are some advantages to one over the other. The Rollei has 8 degree front tilt up and down, meter

built into camera body, focal plane shutter and very long focus draw built into the camera. I am

able to use a 6" Wollensak Velostigmat f/4.5 Series II soft focus lens with this camera for portraits

and still life. All the lenses are terrific, even the much maligned original 40mm Zeiss f/4 Distagon

with Rollei HFT coating, which has almost no straight line distortion, much less than the

Hasselblad 40mm FLE. The Hasselblad has the somewhat better lenses in the 100mm, 38mm on

the SWC/M and the 180 and perhaps 60mm that I may add soon for the 501CM. I have somewhat

chosen differring focal lengths for the Hassy that I can't get for the Rollei (38, 60, 100, 180, 350).

At any rate, I love both of these cameras, they are quite a bit different in use but nearly identical in

results. I just can't seem to pick one. Anyone else have 2 systems doing virtually the same job

and can't part with either one?

I am interested to hear all comments and suggestions (I already know I am a sick puppy, and that

one need not be repeated...) Or if you know a really good therapist that specializes in...

I have a Yashica Mat 124G (Bay 1), a Rolleiflex 3,5F (Bay 2), and a Rolleiflex 2,8F (Bay 3) and I use them all.

Usually, when I go out to take pictures I carry two of them (the Yashica and one of the Rolleis) plus my grandfather's Leica or my Vitessa. Add the tripod, the additional lens of my Yashica, the filters, the flash, etc. ... A heavy bag as you may see!

My camera's mechanic always said to me why I don't sell one of the Rolleis and buy a SL 66 (he tempted me with a pristine one for u$s 600 with a Planar and two backs) but I just can't let go one of my "babies".

I feel that adding another camera to my small collection is a little insane, so I decided sometime ago to stop buying them, even if a SL66 or a Mamiya 7 or both makes perfect sense.

So, here I am, with three different TLR's that don't share additional lenses, nor filters, but what can I say, I can't let go.

I started out with a Rollei SL66 with the 80 and 250, but sold it all to get a Rolleiflex SLX with the 80 and 150 in 1984, 5 years ago the SLX went bad and I replaced it with a 6003 and now I have the 50PQ, 80 PQ, 120 PQS, 150 PQS and the 250 PQ. Just when I thought I had all the lenses I needed, I bought a Rollei SL66 again with the 80 and 250. They both are such great systems, I figured since I did without one for over 20 years I would stop that. BTW The 6000 system has all those Hassy lenses and more. So you are not the only sick puppy. I should tell you about my Rollei sl35 system with all those great Zeiss lenses and my Horseman Technical 2X3 camera system with sharp Topcon lenses; Or the XLRF Graflex with those superb Zeiss and Rodenstock lenses... I could go on. It's all about who gets the most toys :)

I can appreciate your delima Butch. Unlike you my medium formats serve different purposes. My 645AFD for handheld and my RZ67 for tripod shots. I have been contemplating my FIRST DSLR. Should I sell the AFD? Will Digital backs come down in price in the next 3 years to wait? I simply cannot part with the RZ. I love the rhythm and the results. I think I will go back to convincing my wife to get a part time job and release her from the burden of managing finances.

Only two similar <abbr style="border-bottom: 1px blue dashed;" title="medium format">MF</abbr> systems...? Go ask that question in the Classic Camera forum -- many of these folks literally have dozens of for all practical purposes virtually identical cameras and systems and enjoy the heck out of each one!

not to be presumptious, but it does not sound like you "need" to sell either one. it would be more financially responsible (in the case you need to convince a spouse) to keep both rather than repurchasing one or the other every couple of years. i only have four mf cameras, and my current favorite is a 1930-era agfa 6x9 folder. best, jr

This has happened to me.... I just keep rationalizing keeping multiple full systems. The rationale being that it's just too hard to part with things at the prices they command now. I've tried not to be a pack-rat and simply accumulate things but each system has its applications and advantages. I keep thinking that I'll have reasons to use each. The hard truth is that most of it hasn't been even used in the last 2 years and my MF slr's don't see much duty and the RF's seem to do all of the work.

I'd agree there's no great problem in having similar but different systems... For instance, I have a Fuji GS645S, a Fuji GA645Wi, and two Bronica RF645's... Duplication? Sorta... Nutty, huh? But I'm happy and I sense you're happy too, so it's all good! :-)

I have two complete 6x6 systems, Hasselblad and Rollei 6000. I mostly use the Hasselblad and have often thought of selling the Rollei but just can't do it. I have the Schnieder lenses 40mm through 300mm and they are great. Generally anything I sell I later regret. Then trying to get them back is very expensive!

Um, Butch, boy have you gone overboard.

FWIW, one of my neighbors is a really serious collector of everything Zeiss, also many other kinds of pretty good photographic equipment. I'm fairly sure he has you, most of us, in fact, beat on quantity.

Before he went digital (he likes the instant gratifications, can't carry as much gear on a plane as he'd like, fears what the security thugs will do to checked equipment) he swore by his SL66, much preferred using it to his 'blads.

The advice he's given me has always been sound. So if I were you and wanted to shoot 6x6 with an SLR I'd ditch all of the 'blad gear except the SWC and a couple of backs and stick with the SL66 kit. I recommend keeping the SWC because I shoot a 38 Biogon on my humble Century Graphic and can't imagine giving it up.

Do you use y'r 500 very much? I ask because the longest lens I have that will focus on my little Century is a 480 (yes, there's a trick involved). After going to the trouble of getting the lens and implementing the trick, I find that I hardly use it.

Cheers,

Dan

The main reason I have both Rollei 6008 and Hasselblad 500 C/M is that I would gladly concentrate the whole system on the Hasselblad, but I can't find takers for the Rollei for a reasonable price. I love the Rollei, mind you, but it is electronic, of course, and I simply don't trust batteries. I inherited the Hasselblad, and would dearly like to keep it and move entirely to the Hasselblad. But it just isn't worth it to sell the Rollei, given how meager the results would be.

Ha!! I laughed when I got to Jeremy's contribution which includes the bracketed comment: " ...(in the case you need to convince a spouse) ..." Because I was once with a fella who forever made comments about the cost of bits and pieces for both my Leica M3 outfit and the Hasselblad kit, both of which continue to grow, if slowly. I was never stressed about any of it, until he stuck his face in and with montonous predictability, said I should make a decision and get rid of one of them. (Blah blah ... here we go again .. blah blah )

So I made a decision. I got rid of him, and kept both the Leica and the Hasselblad. Stress gone. Ha !!

Cheers, Jenny.

I have Bronica ETR, SQ and GS-1 cameras. The ETR equipment includes an ETR, and two ETRS bodies with two prism finders and a waist level finder. For lenses I have two 502.8 MC, an assortment of five 75/2.8 lenses, a 105 and two 150s. There are several backs and inserts including a 135W back. I seem to use this system less than the others. I have three SQ-A bodies with two prism finders and a waist level finder. To go with them I have 1 50/3.5 PS, an 80/2.8S, an 80/2.8 PS, a 150/4 PS and a 2X S teleconverter. There are several backs with 120 and 220 inserts. I enjoy using an SQ-A with the 50 or one of the 80mm lenses and a waist level finder. For square images this set-up is very nice. I don't have to tilt for verticals and I can always crop for rectangular prints. In the 6X7 format I have two GS-1 bodies. One is perfect and the other needs some work. To go with the GS-1 bodies I have a prism finder, three 100/3.5 lenses, two 220 6X7 backs and one 120 6X7 back. I have one extension tube and one Speed Grip for each system. I don't know whether I will ever be interested in very long lenses for any of these cameras. The next thing I would like to add is a 50/4.5 for the GS-1. After that a macro lens for either the SQ-As or the GS-1s would be nice. If I need to make a large print and if the standard 100 lens is suitable for the subject then I will use a GS-1.

All three systems work well. I paid so little for most of these items that I don't really want to get rid of any of them. I also have several TLR cameras but I find the SLR cameras more versatile.