Dropped lens

rdavila

Hi all,

I'm posting this as probably happened to someone else already and would like to

know the alternatives, so here's what happened:

Few weeks ago, while taking some pics outdorrs, I accidentally dropped my EF

20mm/2.8 while changing lenses. I was in a snowed mountain slope and of course

according to Mr. Murphy, the lens could not land in the snow but directly in the

asphalted walking path, the lens caps were on (both sides).

After some instinctive cursing, an initial inspection revealed the lens seemed fine

(just a scratch in the front cap, cheap and replaceble), the optics are fine too, AF

works, however, the aperture blades look like they jumped out of their place from

the shock, and of course DOF preview doesn't work, neither can I take a picture

with the lens anymore.

I did not take it to Canon yet, as I'm now living in Switzerland, probably they will

charge me here just to put a foot in their office more than the cost of a new lens,

so I'm waiting to go back home in Peru soon, where labour costs are more

reasonable with probably the same skilled craftsmen, besides Canon has also a

representative there including tech service.

The question is, did this happen to someone already? Is it easy to repair?

Probably is it just a matter of disassembling the lens and putting the blades back

in place or is the aperture system and therefore the lens lost forever?

Thanks for the input

cheers

I dropped my EF 20mm TWICE, one time also on concrete. Surprisingly, the lens works still fine, so I have yet to find another reason to replace it with a super-wide zoom...

In your case, the aperture blades could be broken off, so it may not be an easy repair. I would bring it to Canon and ask for an estimate.

It's an outside chance but try taking a few shots at fully open and fully closed apertures. The blades may just be crossed over and working the range may sort them.

I guess you may have already tried this but gently (I take no blame if something worse happens) tap the lens on the table on the lens cap edges front and back and see if a second (small) shock helps.

Good luck

This is common with lenses that suffer impact. The aperture assembly may be permanently damaged, however, as someone already mentioned you should try to shoot fully open and fully closed to se if it willr eseat the blades. Also, how does it look when you look through the lens? Is there just one blade dangling in the center awkardly or is the aperture just not circular enough? Because apertures are never perfectly circular and its actually normal for them to be slightly oval. If there is just one blade dangling in the middle of the lens then the aperture assembly is shot and will have to be replaced. I don't recommend doing it yourself since you could introduce a lot of dust and residue to the blades. Let us know how it works out for you!

Mark

Many thanks for all your comments and feedback. Actually, as initially stated, aperture does not work, and if I try shooting a pitcure, the camera shows an error, therefore I cannot take pictures fully open nor fully close. I forgot to mention above that when looking through the lens, not one but several blades appear to be in the way.

From your feedback I deduct that probably the whole aperture system is gone. I'll ask Canon for an estimate, however, any ideas of possible price of that repair? Considering a new EF 20mm f2.8 lens costs around $500, might not be worth to have it repaired at all.....

I'll have a look at my homeowner's insurance, maybe it's covered....

I'll post for the record Canon's reply and cost estimate when I have it

cheers