Any Major Nikon D300 Defects? (When will Nikon fix the d300)

alex_p._schorsch

"Seeing as though I live on the PLANET EARTH, I have seen so many complaints of d300 camera failure"

Well, I'm sorry that this one response struck such a nerve with you. But the very first person who responded to you asked where these "so many complaints" came from, and many other people in this thread echoed that question. Pretty much all of us live on the same planet as you, and we have not seen "so many complaints" or "a lot of horror stories", so you do have to admit that you set up a rather confrontational tone for this conversation.

Statistically, based on the number of complaints I've seen, vs the million cameras a year Nikon is making, I'd have to say the D300 is one of the most reliable cameras ever built, and a textbook study of a near perfect product launch.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Seeing as though I live on the PLANET EARTH, I have seen so many complaints of d300 camera failure that I am now having misgivings as to whether I should invest a few thousand dollars in this system."

Please cite where you are seeing the complaints. I'm not saying there aren't any. However, as compared with the banding firestorm from the D200 release, I haven't seen much at all to suggest there are significant problems with the D300 and I haven't noticed any with mine or those owned by the people I'm familiar with.

Your mileage may vary, of course. On the other hand, there are SOME complaints about every new camera. (D200 banding, 1DmIII AF, D70 "BGLOD", the 1DsmIII has too much resolution, the D3 is too good at high ISOs, whatever...)

Several Nikon Forums have had a number of threads on D300 issues, mainly the so called "False Low Battery" problem. For example, we have had the following threads:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00OT2O

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00OTGJ

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00OYX4

I have attempted to check with Nikon on this issue a few weeks ago, citing the above threads. While they acknowledged receiving my e-mail, they have not provided any official response. As far as I know from other sources, Nikon is well aware of this issue, but they don't fully understand it and therefore don't have a reliable fix. Until they do, they won't comment on it officially.

Nikon was initially manufacturing about 70K D300s a month with 3 shifts at their factory in Thailand, and that was increased to 80K a month. Therefore, I am sure that there are well over half a million D300s out there. Given the relatively small number of complaints, I would say the defective rate is quite low; however, for those who run into this problem, it can be very frustrating.

In comparison, the D70's defective circuit board (Blinking Green Light Of Death) problem and the D200's banding were far more wide spread.

For the record, I bought my D300 in late November 2007, a week after it first became available. I use it frequently with the 70-200 VR, 200-400 VR and 500mm/f4 AF-S. So far I have absolutely no problem.

I've now used the D300 for over 90 days and have had zero problems. The battery life is improved over the D200 and it is a solid camera overall. Like others, I'm hard pressed to find any bad press or feedback on the camera. Perhaps there is some trolling going on. :) I couldn't give a better recommendation on any other camera I've ever used.

Looking back into past experiences it may be a good comfort to know that the well known BGLOD problem of the D70 was resolved by Nikon in a very fair way: free repair. I personally was affected (well OK my D70 was ^^) by the BGLOD. The camera was a little older than two years of age and I send the body in to Nikon Germany. Within less than two weeks I got the D70 back repaired and cleaned at no cost including shipping back to me.

While it was annoying to run into this problem I must say I liked the D70 very much, it was a great little tough camera and I though Nikon's reaction was very fair. The repair slip indicating a complete exchange of the electronics helped to sell the D70 when I got my D200 shortly after.

Not only are there a lot of threads about the problems here but on dpreview as well. For me, it's a big investment so I am checking out all the d300 threads. When the camera first came out, everybody was oozing praise so evidently the d300 is a really GOOD camera, but lately I've been seeing a lot of complaint threads. Evidently the consensus here is that most users are staunch defenders of this camera. That's on photo.net whose users are not known to be fanatical. I didn't post my misgivings on dpreview so I would probably take a real lambasting there. But I think I am voicing a valid question so I don't think there is a need for so much sarcasm. I think camera brands are a lot like football teams or religions. A lot of people get worked up if anybody attacks theirs.Peace.

I love my D300 and have never owned a better camera, but that doesn't mean it's perfect.

I'm a little troubled by how wobbly/loose my SB600 and SB800 flashes are mounted on the camera, and I have two lenses which have a little more play in them at the mount than I'd prefer.

These flashes and lenses were completely snug on the D80.

I'm debating whether or not it's something I should take action on. Maybe I should start a new thread, because I sure would like to hear what others think about this.

Very happy with my D300 as well. I bought it slightly used but in like new condition. I have

used many Nikon bodies before, this one is the best so far. I do not regret upgrading from

my D200 at all. Regarding batteries, the increased life compared to the D200 is amazing.

Alex, you are right, it's a big investment for many of us. Honestly I do not think you can get

wrong with this camera, it's solid, well thought out, and an excellent performer. The web is

a double edge resource, some very valuable info can be found here but many morons do

also post a lot of misinformation by making completely unfounded claims. It is very

important to check the source of each post and how much of an expert the author is

regardless of his/her claims. It is amazing to read some negative posts about cameras that

have been released yet, some people really have an agenda to destroy anything they can.

Abe Maslow (attributed)

"90% of everything is crap"

-- and at least we all know that this applies to the internet, too. New cameras (Nikon, Canon, whatever) often have a problem or two right out of the gate. Most of these are resolved very quickly, but they--legitimate or not--echo down the halls of the internet for a long time. They seem to have a longer half-life than the usual idle rumor.

(or was it "carp"?, never can keep it straight)

There are more than a few discussions in the various photo forums about problems with the D300, mostly about "battery depleted" error messages and auto-focus hunting.

While some of these issues are quite probably user related, it is becoming clearer that there MAY be some design problems/shortcomings with the D300 that affect the way in which electrical contact is made with some AF lenses.

Here are a few threads that discuss these problems:

<a href="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=27027438"></a>

<a href="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1039&thread=26374611"></a>

<a href="http://www.notebooks.com/2008/01/22/d300-false-low-battery-warningsworthless-dslrthanks-a-lot-nikon/"></a>

<a href="http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=149&topic_id=111230&mesg_id=111230&page="></a>

<a href="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=26320363"></a>

<a href="http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=149&topic_id=122196&mesg_id=122196&page="></a>

Alex,

Please be aware that fully half of the dissenters that post on the net don't actually own or use the camera, they are simple posting wannabees. This not to say that if in fact a specific camera displays a flaw that it won't soon be reported in mass on the web aka: Mark 111 focus issues but not all reports are valid, some are simply fiction.

In general, I refuse to buy the first issue of anything until they work the bugs out so for now I keep what I have because it's been proven in the D2x.

Alex, here's the problem.

A few people have reported battery/contact issues with the D300. Yes, I said a few. OK, a few on each forum but for all I know, they are the same people.

Others see that and somehow think it must be rampant because someone -- somewhere -- said something negative. Then many are ready to jump on the wagon. This certainly happened with a couple Canon bodies as well.

Also, you will sometimes see the same person quoted over and over because that one person had a bad experience with something. I have seen it here dozens of times.

If you think the D300 is risky, then go to Canon. I hope you don't get one of their problem bods. For me, my D300 works flawlessly. Couldn't be happier. Your experience, of course, might be different.

I do have complain with my D300 :(, it disguised to me as I thought I bought a D3 from

the store but when I got home it was a D300 LOL... but in the end it saved my wallet

from an extra $3000 if it was indeed a D3.

The fact is there are people who appear to have a psychological affliction that manifests in a need to complain loudly and often when they are disappointed in something. Unfortunately their uncertain personalities are reinforced by the existence of Internet forums and particularly by the freedom from responsibility that anonymous posting allows. Which is a long-winded way of saying that I wouldn't put much stock in these complaints. Statistically speaking, every transaction entails some risk that you will get a lemon. Happens with cars, happens with computers, and happens with houses. Some of everything is screwed together wrong, a key part is off-speck by a fraction, you get the one unit out of a thousand with a faulty chip or the mirror box misaligned by a hair. With a new camera or a new lens just return it and get a new one.<p>FWIW, my D300 has over 7,000 frames and it is superb in every way. I just shot 1600 mostly RAW images over the course of 3 days on one battery. The mount is integral to the magnesium body-- I can't conceive what could go wrong with it short of using the body as a hammer and a tele lens as a handle..

I have two d300's and find them to be without any problems of any kind. The problem with many forums is that there are people who find a way to make things have a problem so that they can complain about them in public. They are bitchalcoholics. Buy from a reputable dealer and take it back if you don't like it or it does not work.

I have a D300 and I so far, so excellent. Don't see any problem with battery at all. Had a D80 and I did upgrade to this one and honestly, I do not regret. It is a great camera and should not be worry about any "possible" problem with this great camera. As I said, so far, so good !!

I have been using a D300 for more than 4 months now and I do not have any problems with it. On the contrary, I find the camera so much better than the D200 from which I upgraded to. I have been using the D300 with all the big lenses, including the 70-200mm VR and have not experienced any slightest hint of a problem. The pictures came out always on the dot when it comes to AF and WB. I have been doing photography for more than 30 years and this is definitely one of the best camera I have ever used. In the old film days, I have used Leica, Contax, Nikon and Canon. While there may be isolated problems experienced by some individuals, but I have not seen "many horrible complaints" about the camera. As a matter of fact, I was surprised to see how few complaints the D300 has received in compare with other cameras.