Trouble photgraphing people

revolver

Thanks Chris,

Multi segment ''IMO'' is usually a mistake. Infact, the only time I use it is when doing wide angle landscape and basically shooting at infinity.

When shooting a single person or thing, I tend to use Spot metering and when shooting multiple people or things, I have found center weighted metering, which I use 80% of the time...

Multi segment metering leaves too much control to the camera and it is not as smart as you...

In looking at the first image, had you used center weighted metering, I doubt that window would be over exposed and as a result you would have had a sharper image...Now in saying that, the image is still pretty good...Also don't be afraid to use fill flash in the middle of the day....You would be surprised how well this works.

You have received a lot of attention and good advice (what an excellent community).<br>

My first though was depth of field, consider a wider aperture for the next shot. ISO 1600 seems to have worked out just fine for you, normally high iso gives you noise, not blurriness. Also as someone else said, spot metering would have been better for this photograph and that window is causing problems for your sensor.<br>

I did a quick crop and levels/curves/sharpening to try and correct the colour, which I am trying to learn. What do you think?<div>00PStB-43452584.jpg.1b402e172c7cfac0dd434676f745de8e.jpg</div>

Javier,

thanks for the tip. I usually use center weight or spot based on past advice and reading its effects in the manual but had it set multi only with the high ISO from some night time shooting the day before.

sometimes when some shots present themselves I forget to check my settings from the last time.....Which I kick myself for. I am not a forgetful person and that irritates me even more. I think I am going to have to put a postit on my camera to remind myself..lol

Well, the ISO thing is just one of those lessons learned. Check setting before you start. As for the indoor snaps, get yourself a decent flash unit, a rubber band and a piece of cardstock to make a simple bounce card for the flash. You will point the flash straight up or at a slight downward angle (10-15 degrees from vertical). This will bounce the light all over the room and provide even illumination. The bounce card will throw just enough light forward to light up mom like a movie star. The bounce card has probably been the best three bucks I have ever spent. Before that, my flash was always trying to light up the room via my subjects face thus bleaching them out and throwing nasty shadows all over the place. Hope this helps.

Mel