external shutter timer and how to work it. It was attached on the front and

right hand side of the lens.

I was researching which Leica (if it was a Leica) he owned, and after looking

at pictures of the M3, it resembled my recollection of it best of all (polished

metal and black leatherette).

The thing is, does the M3 allow for an external timer positioned on the front

and right side of the camera?

Patrick

I don't know of an external one, but mine has an internal self-timer with an external actuating lever on the right front. The lever is about 5/8" long and points toward the top of the camera. It is rotated 180 degrees away from the lens and down to engage it for use. After the camera is wound, a small button that was hidden by the lever is depressed to start the timing cycle. I hope this helps.

Mark J.

May not have been a leica. The M3's, if my recollection is right, all came with a self-

timer lever on the front. The similar M2 however, was made both with and without a

self-timer. If one was to add an external timer to any of the M series, it would be to the

top, threaded onto the shutter button.

There used to be an attachment that was threaded into the shutter release on various cameras and you set a timer on top that depressed the shutter. In fact, if you do a search on fleabay for "self timer" you'll find some. The one by Leica is, in fact, one that is available there under auction: 280224936069.

I remember some others out there, but without a standard cable release thread, I don't know if these would work:

http://home.att.net/~sales3d/WSelfTimer.htm

There is a model of the Braun Paxette that is of a similar size and shape to the M3 but the self timer The Super II B I believe it is and while it does have a self timer built in almost no one would use them as they were very fragile.

Instead an accessory time a little chrome box approx. 1/2" wide by maybe an inch tall with a stem on it would screw into the base of the lens (where the shutter was located) and it pressed the shutter button also located on the right front of the camera if looking at it from behind.

If you do an image search with google for "Braun Paxette" a bunch of models will come up.

I don't think it was made by Leica, but I have an external self timer that screws into the shutter release like a cable release and then pushes the button when it's mechanical timer runs out. Not sure if it would fit the M's, but it was an interesting gadget and they do exist.