Maybe my self-esteem can handle it

abe_hollander

I'm encouraged by Jemal's posts, trying to get something more with his photos,

by using this community's perspective.<br><br>I took some shots of something I

thought for SURE I could do something neat with, but I can't seem to extract

something cool. And maybe nothing's really there.<br><br>Anyway, here goes.<div>00PTQZ-43536084.jpg.922fe46ac13fda05046b8733bdfe3b13.jpg</div>

I find the branches - roots? coming out of the side of that monstrous thing ... to be really interesting... Would a focus on just those ... minus all the rest of the dirt ... be easier to process- (swallow) ? ...

It's like sensory overload...

I

looking at it again, I think that instead of trying to tease apart this monster from the flora around it, that maybe I could try a much shallower DOF, to properly put the roots/dirt in focus (literally&figuratively)? "Swallowed" and "Enchilada" I manipulated via exposure, to try to separate the dead from the live...

I don't know if a re-shoot is in order but for me I think one thing that hampers 'enchilada' and 'maw' is the background of tons of other tree branches with similar color belonging other trees--this may be robbing the downed tree's roots of their form and interest. I wonder if its possible to shoot so that the background is well out of focus or at an angle (upwards so sky is background) so that we can get a better look at these.

This is sort of in line with Rose's idea, I think--the interest is mostly around the edge with the roots splayed about, and in the center where the gaping maw is--but in between, there's a considerable amount of mud so perhaps isolating one or the other further may yield something you might like.

While I'm not quite sold on the purple, the 'pp' image has some interest. The more contrasty look makes it more of an abstract texture image.

I'ld suggest a 3/4 view as close as you can get to get the whole tree or is the stump on

the other side of that root mound. Interesting and nice subject to shoot you got there.

The EXIF data of the first pic shows 1/90th, f/5.6 at what seems midday sunlight. What

shape of lens barrel are you using because for the same type of shot I have to set my

K100D's 18-55mm kit lens at 125-250th sec. at f/8, shutter speed dependant on focal

length?