I am looking for a new computer for photo editing, and have been considering

Apple's iMacs.

With the previous generation of iMacs, the 20" models apparently had inferior

six-bit twisted nematic film screens while the 24" versions had superior

eight-bit in-plane switching screens. This is described here:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/08/04/01/1710221.shtml

I am wondering what the situation is with the newer iMacs.

I have spent about three hours on the phone with various people at Apple, but

nobody seems able to help me. Perhaps someone in this forum has access to this

information?

I really want to know about the screen's colour reproduction before deciding

which - if any - of the new iMacs to buy.

youshould have ask here first for a change : )

go with the 24imac, the 20 inch look just OK for my taste (bad viewing angle mainly).

Any Imac or any monitor from any brand will need to be calibrated with a device, shop for a Spider3 or Eye1 at the same time.

All the aluminum iMacs have the delineation in screen type you describe above.

The 24" is a beauty and I recommend it.

I also recommend a second monitor for ease of use and ease of calibration. The plate of glass Apple put in front of these iMac screens can screw up calibration, or at least make it more difficult. Get a decent 2nd monitor and not only is post-processing more fun (all tools on one monitor, the image on the calibrated 2nd monitor) but solves the issue of what kind of screen your iMac has.

George, i dont think its a fair question..because i could return the same question but with this instead;

the question is, is the latest iMac's monitor as accurate as say an Eizo for post processing work?

The answer is no of course for both question.

But if you ask "the question is, is the latest iMac's monitor is accurate enough for post processing work? Then i will answer YES it is. Having one myself as a second station, on location and at home (when i bring work home...not often) when i need to work on it as a pro photoretoucher its pretty good once calibrated with a device.

Congratulations. I love mine, but I had difficulties (as have other people) calibrating my 24" model with a borrowed Spyder 2, although I had no problems calibrating my 2nd monitor attached to it.

I intend to buy my own calibration unit by the end of the year -- perhaps a Spyder3 or a Colormunki. Maybe I'll get better results with one of those newer models....

I always hate with a passion anything that start with Spider : )

But i calibrated my Imac using a Spider3 Pro, a Eye1 and a Monaco Optix; all 3 gave me good and similar result. So yes my bet is that you may need a newer calibration device to get it right, but im agree that the 24inch is a bit a pain to calibrated, but more because of the high luminance thats hard to get low enough.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...