Good price on vest

Carl Stone

I dunno if this is the best place to post this, but it's the one I chose. In keeping with the policy of

not posting duplicate posts in multiple forums, here 'tis.

In looking for a decent photo vest, I've had some disappointment. All of the models that I've seen

are too long, going below the waist. I don't know about others, but I do not relish bumping

expensive lenses with each step, as either the lens is going to go South, or it will be my leg(s).

Anyway, I went to the local Bass Pro Shop today, an d I found a very nice vest in the fly fishing

department. It's made of nylon mesh in most places, so it allows good airflow. It does NOT hang

below the waist. It has a couple of large pockets on the bottom front, other smaller pockets up

chest level, and behind one of those is a water resistant pocket. While they have another more

expensive model with a zipper front, this one just has a small strap from each side of the vest

which are joined together with a plastic catch, or leave it open. Yes, there's a rear pocket too. they

have large sizes, and it's only $49.95.

Along with a couple of Domke lens wraps, this vest should work for a lot of people. I hope that this

helps some of those that are looking for a vest.

In general, look for fishing vests. They are often just as useful as made-to-spec photography vests; and, as Carl has found at Bass, are usually much cheaper. I got a great one from Cabelas.

Most vests with 'lots of nylon' look good, but in hot, muggy weather.....nylon does not breath well. Like with a Domke vest, the back is a nylon mesh, and when it's 90 outside and the humidity is 90 percent; you cook your back!

Have you checked the harness system from Think Tank?

Think Tank? No, do you have a link? What do wear in 90+ temps, and high humidity?

Admittedly, I've not yet used the vest in those conditions. Here in the Arizona desert, I

wear T-shirts and shorts year around, but I have no vest experience.

I used to do vests, they were fine in the cool months, nice to have an extra layer. Come summer, yikes! I overheat far to quickly as it is, I didn't need to be adding another layer to my outwear.

That along with not really liking backpacks for photo gear (great for travel, lousy for walking, climbing, canoing etc.) led me in the direction of a waist belt system. After much research I settled on the Think Tank system and have been overwhelmingly pleased, as are other photographers friends who I've loaned it to. They've all bought their own.

OK, I looked at the Think Tank harness offerings, thanks. However, they do not

fulfill my current needs. As for hot and humid, I doubt many are more familiar with it

than I am. Here in the Phoenix area, I stay out of the oppressive Summer heat &

humidity, and go out in Fall, Winter, and Spring.

Looks like I'll just have to suffer with this vest at the end of this month, but, I'll be

doing it in Maui, so I think that I'll survive. A should bag is not what I want, nor is a

backpack, yet I want to carry 2-3 lenses, flash, CP, and extra batteries. I think the

vest offers the best solution, but if it fails, I'll let you know. ;o)

"Have you checked the harness system from Think Tank?"

OK, I "looked" online. But, I grew more intrigued, so today I went to my local dealer.

I got a Steroid Speed Belt, a Lightening Fast for my SB-800, and lens changer bag.

They were out of the Pixel Racing Harness, and the Digital Holster 20. Think Tank is

also out of the Holster 20, and they don't know when they will be available. Anyway,

I found the Holster 20 & Pixel Racing Harness in LA, so I ordered them.

My local dealer, Tempe Camera, told me that this stuff sells like hot cakes, and

even though they're a premier dealer which means that they stock the entire Think

Tank line, they never have every item in stock at any one time.

I was really impressed with the quality of every Think Tank item I saw, and that sold

me. Thanks, Gerald, you gave me good info. :o)