Macro 1:1 for Canon EOS Lens

Canon EF 100/2.8 Macro. 1:1, bright, sharp, very good contrast and resolution. Great for general photography as well. Around $500 US (w/o the lens shade and tripod collar.)

Hello Eyad,

As well as the Canon 100 f/2.8 already mentioned, take a look at similar lenses from Tamron and Tokina. The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 is available from B&H for $360 after a $90 rebate and is an excellent lens. Also excellent is the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 ($400). For 1:1 macro you need solid support, also a lot of macro work is done at ground level so a Canon right angle finder C is very useful. You will also need a copy of John Shaw's "Closeups in Nature" which I consider to be compulsory reading for anyone doing macro photography.

Economic solution (without losing resolution & quality) is to buy Canon 50mm f/2.8 macro lens + Canon extension (to make it to 1:1). 50mm is for daily use. With extension you can have 1:1 macro. The cost would be less than $200.

<p>Two sides of the same question: for what purpose will you be using it, or how much working distance do you need? If you haven't already done so, look at the Macro section of photo.net, which will discuss why there are macro lenses with a variety of focal lengths.</p>

Guess I'll be the minority here and recommend the Canon EF-S 60mm 2.8 Macro.

I considered the 100, but it was a wee bit more expensive, and I wanted something

that would function well as a standard portrait lens on my 30D.

In retrospect, mayyyybe I should have gotten the 100 incase I upgrade to full-frame

(hoping to do if a decent new model presents itself in the next few years)...but,

really, $400 isn't much if we're talking years, so I'd rather have the right lens now

and worry about a more appropriate one for the future later.

Start by choosing the focal length you want. In general, the longer the lens the more expensive it is.

50-70 mm works well for product photography and working in close spaces. 90-105 mm is a good compromise and works well for both product and nature photography, still hand-holdable in many instances. 150-180 mm lenses are more specialized tools that offer larger working distances and ultimate dof control.

50-70 mm: Sigma 50/2.8, Canon 60/2.8, Sigma 70/2.8.

90-105 mm: Tamron 90/2.8, Canon 100/2.8, Sigma 105/2.8

150-180 mm. Sigma 150/2.8, Tamon 180/3.5, Canon 180/3.5

All are extremely sharp. Canon 60/2.8 and 100/2.8 have ring USM - blazing fast auto focus. I have a Tamron 90/2.8 and I like it a lot.