old tired question again...

bill_pearce1

Fed Ex does not x-ray packages, BUT!!!!!! they carry shipments of radioactive material. If you ship Fed Ex, ask them for their label about radiation sensitive materials and use it (they ignore homemade labels). Then ship on Monday, Tuesday or maybe Wednesday. Don't ship any other days - too much risk of your package sitting in a FedEx warehouse at some airport over a weekend, and that's where the biggest risk of irradiation by someone's else's shipment is.

But processing in Italy is still the better option, IMHO.

Bob,

That's a good idea, but a good part of the trip will be in VERY rural areas. I did that once before, and the real aggravation is trying to explain, in my phrase-book italian, that they shouldn't cut Xpan film.

Bill Pearce

As a backup, if you can find a friend or college professor who is fluent--have them write out these instructions in Italian for you prior to leaving. That way if you decide en route that developing in Italy is the best bet, you'll be prepared. Used this trick when traveling in China with a friend who was allergic to tomatoes--did wonders. My non-existent Chinese wasn't going to help us at all.

Another idea is to use x-ray protection film container cases. I have seen one type of these at Wolf Camera retailers. I think they are called film vaults, or something like that. Its basically a metal casing in which you put all your film. The product is supposed to block x-rays from reaching the film. But if you use this yourself, and go through airport security, they'll probably stop you, and want to see whats inside the x-ray proof case.