Post Ceremony Group Formals

It can certainly be a hassle sometimes with family members straying here and there trying to fulfill all the requests....but think about it this way...you can't sell what you don't shoot... For some families, especially those that do not reside within the same area, these may be the only family shots they have had for years...take advantage of it. Look at it as potential income rather than the chore it can so often become.

Howdy!

Professional opinions do not have to be judgmental in tone.

There is a concept called "argumentum ad hominem", which is Latin for "arguing against the man".

If we pardon the ancients for being a bit chauvinistic and extend this concept to women as well, it means discrediting an opponent by means other than valid logic, such as:

"Go shoot landscapes, seniors, ANYTHING else!"

The above statement, by it's phrasing and emotional impact, implies that the subject is not qualified to shoot a wedding, regardless of the validity or invalidity of his original argument. It is inflammatory, even in the context of the original post, and therefore it appears to me to be an attempt to discredit the validity of the argument by attacking the character of the other.

There is a wealth of information on this topic at the following website:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

For what its worth, I have caught myself "flaming" and engaging in this sort of thing myself on this forum. It's easy to forget that there are real people out there who have feelings.

I have resolved to go and sin no more.

Later,

Paulsky

As wedding photographers, we pride ourselves in making sure that we shoot everything and everybody at the wedding. The B&G pay us for our time and expertise, not per number of photogrpahs. 50 years from now, the wedding pics will be all they have of their wedding day and we want to make sure that they have the best possible memories.

We (my wife and I) make sure that we create a good raport with the B&G as well as everybody present. During our meetings with the B&G we make sure that they compile a list for the "formal" family photos and that they appoint someone to manage it. Usually this turns out to be a guideline only as during the shoot, whole new sets of groupings are requested. So what?

However, if at all possible, we get the B&G away from the family asap to shoot their romantic photos first. This we also recommend during our pre-wedding discussions; to inform the familiy that we will do the B&G shoot first and then the family. The main reason for this is to have the best light available (we prefer natural light and here in South Africa this not usually a problem) and where possible, advise the couple as to the best time of day for this. Family photos are OK when using flash, so it can wait for later. It also helps to relax the B&G after the ceremony if they are separated from the " family noise".

Bottom line, we are service providers and our reputation was built on giving the best possible service - and that means shooting everything and everybody and we try and show everybody that we are having fun - it rubs off and prevent those stiff and stick-like poses so often associated with family photos.

LEON DE KOCK

I could certainly understand how it could frustrate. Part of the reason I'm drawn to wedding photography is seeing the reaction to the album/photos. I think its what makes it worth it. And if the additional time it takes to produce formals cuts down on the amount of time needed to do PJ work, I would be sick with concern that I wont deliver a product that I'm proud of. I dont consider my opinion as valuable as some above since I wont be a wedding photographer for another 8 days, but I will say that delivering something I wasnt proud of outweighs the fact that I was just doing what I was paid to do. I suppose when it pays the bills I'd have a completely different perspective. One suggestion above that I agree with completely is to bring in a second shooter to do the formals, or vice versa. If you outsource your formals, is it possible the fun will return? Isn't it Jeff Ascough who only agrees to 6 formal shots? Yes, he's a big deal, but still. He lays down the law before the first shutter click.