One lens or two?

anisshah

I'm planning to upgrade from 300D to 400D and was wondering whether Sigma AF

18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS would be a better choice than a combination of EF-S

18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS with EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS. The lens(es) would be used

primarily for pictures of the family and perhaps travel pictures. I've been

using the non-IS kit lens and EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 (non-IS version) on the 300D.

Is there any advantage to getting the 18-55 IS/55-250 IS combo instead of just

the Sigma (apart from slightly longer telephoto)?

The 55-250mm also gets a good review over at http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Canon%20EOS%20Lens%20Tests/45-canon-eos-aps-c/194-canon-ef-s-55-250mm-f4-56-is-test-report--review

I'm actually in the process of filling in some missing focal-lengths in my "occasionally used" range, and I'm trying to decide between the 28-135mm IS vs the 55-250mm IS. Currently, the 55-250mm is winning on sharpness.

FWIW, Photozone.de also like the 18-55mm IS: http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Canon%20EOS%20Lens%20Tests/45-canon-eos-aps-c/181-canon-ef-s-18-55mm-f35-56-is-test-report--review

There are a few advantages two getting the two lens combo.

1) The Sigma lens is f/6.3 @ 200mm, whereas the Canon 55-250 is f/5.6 @ 250mm. That extra light makes a huge difference, and it comes with extra focal length. Frankly, f/6.3 is pretty darned slow.

2) The two lens combo is comprised of Canon-only lenses. Sigma has had compatibility problems w/Canon before, and while they aren't showing up now, I'll bet they do again someday.

3) Super zooms like the 18-200 pose an important problem. If your ONE lens breaks, you can't take ANY pictures, whereas with the two-lens solution, at least you can take pictures, albeit pictures that aren't at the right focal length. Better to come home with a picture that is a little off than no picture at all. Imagine being on a vacation, and having your camera, but not being able to use it at all, because you only had one lens, and it broke. Murphy's Law doesn't care how careful you are. ;)

4) Both are decent lenses.

But... Why are you replacing the lenses you currently own? Want IS?

If you want an one-lens solution, why bother with an entry-level <abbr title="digital single-lens reflex camera">dSLR</abbr> and not go for a high-end digicam (Canon Powershot G series)? An <abbr title="single-lens reflex camera">SLR</abbr> is all about having multiple lenses with different specs/characteristics for different jobs/applications.

<i>1) The Sigma lens is f/6.3 @ 200mm, whereas the Canon 55-250 is f/5.6 @ 250mm. That extra light makes a huge difference, and it comes with extra focal length. Frankly, f/6.3 is pretty darned slow. </i><br><br> Huge..? Well, if 1/3 stop is huge then you are right.

<p><i>If you want an one-lens solution, why bother with an entry-level dSLR and not go for a high-end digicam (Canon Powershot G series)? An SLR is all about having multiple lenses with different specs/characteristics for different jobs/applications.</i></p>

<p>True, but if the 18-200 has similar IQ to the 18-55/55-250 combo, it comes down to convenience (in this particular case). I think the advantages of the 400D over the G9 are the responsiveness and the option to use "specialized" lenses (EF-S 10-22 or 100/2.8 macro, for example).</p>

<p><i>Why are you replacing the lenses you currently own? Want IS?</i></p>

<p>Yes :-)</p>

<p><i>Super zooms like the 18-200 pose an important problem. If your ONE lens breaks, you can't take ANY pictures</i></p>

<p>That's very true. I hadn't thought of that.</p>

<p><i>The 55-250mm also gets a good review over at (link)</i></p>

<p>The Sigma gets a good review at http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses/4603/lens-test-sigma-18-200mm-f35-63-dc-os-af.html (but very few lenses seem to get a bad review at Pop Photo!)</p>

Michael,

The threshold for proper operation of AF on most consumer Canon cameras is f/5.6. The AF will work on the Sigma, but there will probably be some degradation of performance.

For a 200mm lens, f/6.3 (and really f/5.6) is painfully slow. And the important thing to consider is that at 200mm, the 55-250 is probably something better than f/5.6, since it is actually f/5.6 at 250mm.

Anis,

If you are keeping your two older lenses, then I wouldn't worry too much about buying the Sigma if you are dead-set on owning it. Just pack your backup lenses (the two you currently own) for important trips.

Anis:

Three reasons that's a bad Idea.

1) The Sigma is slower F6.5 which will make AF flaky and innacurate.

2) The Sigma lacks IS which the other two have. It's especially useful on the longer lens.

3) Most importantly, super zooms always sacrifice image quality. Its' not possible to make a single zoom lens that covers wide, normal and telephoto well. They can get wide to normal, or normal to tele but not both in the same lens without making sacrafices in IQ.

So if all you care about is the conveneience of a single lens go for it. But if you want decent images, get the two IS lenses or just keep what you have.

<p>Joshua, I haven't decided on the Sigma yet. I was just wondering if I could get away with using one lens or whether there would be a significant IQ problem.</p>

<p>Bob, as you pointed out, <i>super zooms always sacrifice image quality</i>. A comparison of the Sigma with a consumer telezoom would be helpful. Is the Sigma IQ likely to be worse than the EF 75-300?</p>