even with its sharp price decrease since the debut of the D300, I'm still

looking at about a $500 increase over the D80 body. With that money I could

purchase one or more more modern lenses that might cover my most-used focal

lengths.

FYI, I may take a stab at some pet photography for hire...this is also a

consideration in my choice. I figured the D80 might hold up a bit better than

the D40 under this circumstance, although I could be totally off-base on this

point. Let me tell you right now - I really like the D40 and if I was not

considering my little side business I'd probably be all over it.

So - now I need to choose a lens to go with the D80. What do you think would

be a good starter? I'm split between the 18-135 and the 18-55 (non-VR). Keep

in mind I have a 50mm AIS, a 24mm AIS, a 100mm AIS, a 75-150mm AIS (all MF)

etc. I'm hoping to be able to use these. What would be a good starter lense

to purchase? I do want to have at least one AF lens to kick things off!

Hey there. I'm using a D200 with an 18-200VR and to be honest I would go with something a little sharper and a bit faster. I'm looking at getting the 18-50mm f2.8 Sigma or the 17-50mm 2.8 Tamron to see me through till I can afford a 17-55mm Nikon. VR is nice, but it doesn't help freeze subject movement.

With the 18-55 and the 18-135 you will be going with nice light lenses but will end up using your old lenses more (like I do with my old MF 35mm f2.0) simply because they are sooo much sharper. Hope this helps.

Wait until the camera shows and see if you can focus manually to your satisfaction. I can without a problems, others can`t, some resort to the Katz eye prism.

If you can focus, then get one good autofocus lens. I would suggest the 18/70 or 16/85. If you can`t afford something other than a Kit lens, use what you have for now.

Stay away from the plastic lens mounts like the 55/200, 18/135 and 18/50 kit. They wear from off & on ok, but they will not take a side hit very well.

The Tamron looks a sound choice. If you want something cheap at the telephoto end, it might be worth seeking out a used 70-210mm Nikkor (D version focuses faster, but it is optically the same as the non D version). I paid 38 pounds for mine a couple of weeks ago (non D). It's slow but very sharp & works fine on my d80. This might be useful for pet photography if you want to put some distance between you & the subject, but it might be too slow for you (f5.6 @ 210mm).

Fast lenses are not really that necessary for most digital shots, plus they tend to be bulky and heavy.

Buy yourself an 18-70 Nikkor lens--about $200. shoot with that and see if you need anything more. The 18-70 is a better lens than the 18-55 or the 18-135--it has a real metal lens mount.

Wayne, the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 is not bulky or heavy, and the savings in time from having to do less PP compared to the kit 18-70mm make it a no brainer.

Having used both lenses I needed to do far more work after I had taken the picture to get the quality I wanted with the 18-70 - and I just found that the picture taken with the Tamron was far better out of the camera.

I second everyone who voted for the Tamron 17-50mm.

I just bought mine las week and i love it. I used it at the beach to photography wind surfers and it produced great results. The colors look awesome. I like the built, the focus and zoom rings work with real ease. i think for the price this lens is the way to go.

the lens is a real beauty too!

If you can find one I'd get a Nikkor 35-70mm AFD f/2.8. I bought a new one about a month ago & I love it! But Nikon no longer makes this lens, since coming out w/ the 24-70mm f/2.8 & the 28-70mm f/2.8 so it might be hard to find. You can find 1 on eBay selling for around $275 to $350 USD used. I got lucky & got mine new for $375.

Other lenses I would recommend would be a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, it's a great lens & very affordable (about $100 USD). The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 that some others have mentioned is nice too. The Nikkor 18-200mm VR f/3.5-5.6 is a good fit w/ the D-80. It runs about $700 though, so if this is a little out of your price range I'd take a look at the Sigma 18-200mm OS f/3.5. From what I've read these 2 lenses are very comparable & it goes for about $450 new.

There is my 2 cents...

John G. Youman