105 Micro-Nikkor performance samples

jose_angel

Out of curiosity, I would like to know how the 105 VR performs at highest

magnifications, near 1:1. Looks like this is a high quality lens but it isn`t

clearly known its optimal working distance/magnification.

FWIW, I`m posting a sample taken with my 105/4+PN-11, which I consider still a

good performer. I find really difficult to achieve a perfect focus with this

lens on a DSLR screen, I really miss the F3`s 6X finder...

If you have a near 1:2 image from your 105 VR, it could be a good idea to post

it here. Other lens` images would be interesting too.<div>00PJry-43186384.jpg.1902e5ba9bd7489b7714aefa48251bbb.jpg</div>

I don`t have a 105 VR, neither an AF version. My very first, never updated lens, has been this 25+ years old Micro-Nikkor AiS 105/4. For this shot I have used a PN-11 extension tube.

From what I read yesterday, Bjorn didn`t found this lens convincing -for his needs-. He looks to be very specialized, used to very good, expensive or difficult to find lenses.

If the 105 VR performs better than a "classic" Micro-Nikkor or equally well, it could be great to have this lens with AF and VR for versatility. I wonder how far or near the VR is from my old AiS 105/4.

"I find really difficult to achieve a perfect focus with this lens on a DSLR screen"

You have the D300: have you tried live view yet? And have you tried it with an external monitor using the HDMI interface? I plugged a "junker" 17 inch into mine on the bench, and it's liek "focus heaven". Now, if I could just switch back and forth from the full view to the magnified view and engage mirror lockup without having to touch the camera. Nikon still has a little way to go with the liveview user interface.

Jose,

Since you are manually focusing and I assume have the D300 + PN-11 + 105mm f/4

combination mounted on a tripod here's a cure for your focusing blues:

the D300's Liveview function.

In Liveview tripod mode mode You can zoom in (up to about 10x I think) on any area in

the frame and really tweak focus with absolute precision. I know it works because I 've

used it for some still life work and some architectural work. So why squint through a

peephole when you've got that big LCD to exploit? ?

BTW: I am eagerly awaiting the arrival later this week of a 105mm f/4 (from an eBay based

dealer) and locally picked up a mint condition PN-11 ring yesterday for $35.00

You are misinterpreting what you have read. You don't have to use AF with liveview on the

D3 or D300, manual focusing works just fine.

Put camera and lens on tripod.

Set Camera to Liveview tripod mode.

press shutter release.

Press the "Zoom" viewing control (it is the button that looks like a small chess board,

second from the top, on the left side of the LCD). Use the main control wheel to zoom the

preview you are looking at on the LCD.

Use the directional pad to pick a spot where you want to inspect focus.

Adjust focus manually

No external loupe is necessary.